Creating a scrolling table with fixed header

The Litwaks

Hi,

I want to create a table (actually modify an existing table) such
that the table header row remains fixed in its position near the top of
the screen, while the variable number of rows that get built on the fly
from the database below appear in a scrollable window. I looked at a
bunch of HTML tutorials online today, but couldn't find anything like
this. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ken

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
I want to create a table (actually modify an existing table) such
that the table header row remains fixed in its position near the top of
the screen, while the variable number of rows that get built on the fly
from the database below appear in a scrollable window.

Someone asked the same question just the other day. Basically, it is
quite easy to do. Except IE doesn't support it. It may be possible to
hack your way around IE's inadequacies; check the archives of the group.

Karl Core

The Litwaks said:
Hi,

I want to create a table (actually modify an existing table) such that
the table header row remains fixed in its position near the top of the
screen, while the variable number of rows that get built on the fly from
the database below appear in a scrollable window. I looked at a bunch of
HTML tutorials online today, but couldn't find anything like this. Any
suggestions? Thanks.

GEE, NOBODY'S ASKED THIS QUESTION LATELY!

The Litwaks

Karl said:
GEE, NOBODY'S ASKED THIS QUESTION LATELY!

Two points. First, I just subscribed to the newsgroup tonight. How
would I know this? Second, I just looked through the message headers
that I got downloaded by Netscape. There's nothing that looks like what
I'm after.

Karl Core

The Litwaks said:
Two points. First, I just subscribed to the newsgroup tonight. How would
I know this? Second, I just looked through the message headers that I got
downloaded by Netscape. There's nothing that looks like what I'm after.

Keep looking, genius. It was asked two days ago (or less)

Duende

While sitting in a puddle The Litwaks scribbled in the mud:
Two points. First, I just subscribed to the newsgroup tonight. How
would I know this? Second, I just looked through the message headers
that I got downloaded by Netscape. There's nothing that looks like what
I'm after.

Look for the subject "vertical scroll inside table ?"
http://tinyurl.com/6hmxs

Mr. Core is a bit pissed about a bit of flameing that's been going on here
and seams a bit on edge right now. He is one of the best in the group when it
comes to knowing this stuff.

p.s.
I think I'm one of the persons he's pissed at.

Travis Newbury

Two points. First, I just subscribed to the newsgroup tonight. How
would I know this?
Google

Second, I just looked through the message headers
that I got downloaded by Netscape. There's nothing that looks like what
I'm after.

Google

Richard

The Litwaks said:
Hi,

I want to create a table (actually modify an existing table) such
that the table header row remains fixed in its position near the top of
the screen, while the variable number of rows that get built on the fly
from the database below appear in a scrollable window. I looked at a
bunch of HTML tutorials online today, but couldn't find anything like
this. Any suggestions? Thanks.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group...7&as_maxd=31&as_maxm=12&as_maxy=2004&safe=off

When it comes to this sort of thing, brucie is the master.
I'm sure you'll find plenty of his samples to give you an answer.

He once posted a captioned scrolling table thing that worked in IE.
Captions on both top and bottom.
So it can be done.

Travis Newbury

Richard said:
He once posted a captioned scrolling table thing that worked in IE.
Captions on both top and bottom.
So it can be done.

A little off topic, but important none the less. With so many people
now adding the X-archive to their header (like brucie, and a few others
here). What use is this forum, and searching groups in Google, going
to be in a year?
7 days after the post,it is not searchable anymore.

Richard

Travis Newbury said:
A little off topic, but important none the less. With so many people
now adding the X-archive to their header (like brucie, and a few others
here). What use is this forum, and searching groups in Google, going
to be in a year?
7 days after the post,it is not searchable anymore.

Because the vast majority of posters do not how to utilize XNA, let alone
even know what it is.
In my search, I found the very first topic, quite old, was one in which
brucie replied and his post was intact.
As many posters ues OE, it is cumbersome to add the header, yes it can be
done.
That is why I use the fidolook plug in because it is done automatically with
each post.

What you do not understand is, only the post that contained the XNA will not
be shown.
If someone replied to that post without XNA, it will be shown in the entire
thread.

Travis Newbury

Richard said:
What you do not understand is, only the post that contained the XNA will not
be shown.
If someone replied to that post without XNA, it will be shown in the entire
thread.

Uh, are you sure? If I QUOTE the message it is there in my quote. But
the original post is gone.