    what exactly I need to do differently in my VS.NET setup project in order
    for it to stick the assembly into GAC.

    Bob

    Bob, May 12, 2004

  2. Bob

    mike Guest

    its actually very simple

    Create a setup project.
    Right click on the installer project and go to view --> file system
    Right click in the left pan and add global assembly cache folder
    click on the GAC folder and then in the right pane, right click and add
    assembly or project output (make sure all is strong named before adding
    otherwise the installer will fail).

    hth
    mike

    " Bob" <> wrote in message
    > Could anyone suggest me some examples/articles on creating a setup program
    > in VS.NET that can install the assembly into the GAC? I have done some
    > search and research myself and have some basic understanding on how to
    > create a setup program. All the articles about Windows Installer 2.0 is

    the

    mike, May 13, 2004

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Ahh, there it is, really very simple. Thanks a lot.

    Mike, do you know if it's possible to make the setup program automatically
    uninstall an older version of the same program when you run a newer .msi?
    By default it says "Another verion of this product is already installed.
    Installation of this verion cannot continue. To configure or remove the
    existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control
    Panel." I would think it's not a stretch to program the installer (custom
    action?) to uninstall the older version?

    Thanks again.
    Bob

    Bob, May 13, 2004
  4. Bob

    mike Guest

    I am not sure - Havent really investigated that too much as we are allowing
    multiple versions for my project. But I would imagine that it can be done
    through a custom action. If I come across anything I will certainly post
    back here with results...

    Mike

    mike, May 13, 2004
  5. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Someone else told me to set the RemovePreviousVersions to true and increment
    the version # in the setup project properties. I tried and the installer
    ran sucessfully and removed the older version. However, the newer version
    doesn't show up in GAC until I do a "repair" of the install... Just so you
    know.

    Thanks
    Bob

    Bob, May 13, 2004