Creating a simple Windows Service .. can't find it??

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by jobs, Nov 24, 2006.

  1. jobs

    jobs Guest

    Seems like I followed all steps but I can't find my service in the
    service manager??

    f:\windowsservice\EmptyService\EmptyService\bin\Debug>InstallUtil
    EmptyS
    ervice.exe
    Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Installation utility Version 2.0.50727.42

    Running a transacted installation.

    Beginning the Install phase of the installation.
    See the contents of the log file for the
    f:\windowsservice\EmptyService\
    EmptyService\bin\Debug\EmptyService.exe assembly's progress.
    The file is located at
    f:\windowsservice\EmptyService\EmptyService\bin\D
    ebug\EmptyService.InstallLog.
    Installing assembly
    'f:\windowsservice\EmptyService\EmptyService\bin\Deb
    ug\EmptyService.exe'.
    Affected parameters are:
    logtoconsole =
    assemblypath =
    f:\windowsservice\EmptyService\EmptyService\bin\Debug\
    EmptyService.exe
    logfile =
    f:\windowsservice\EmptyService\EmptyService\bin\Debug\Empty
    Service.InstallLog

    The Install phase completed successfully, and the Commit phase is
    beginning.
    See the contents of the log file for the
    f:\windowsservice\EmptyService\
    EmptyService\bin\Debug\EmptyService.exe assembly's progress.
    The file is located at
    f:\windowsservice\EmptyService\EmptyService\bin\D
    ebug\EmptyService.InstallLog.
    Committing assembly
    'f:\windowsservice\EmptyService\EmptyService\bin\Deb
    ug\EmptyService.exe'.
    Affected parameters are:
    logtoconsole =
    assemblypath =
    f:\windowsservice\EmptyService\EmptyService\bin\Debug\
    EmptyService.exe
    logfile =
    f:\windowsservice\EmptyService\EmptyService\bin\Debug\Empty
    Service.InstallLog

    The Commit phase completed successfully.

    The transacted install has completed.

    f:\windowsservice\EmptyService\EmptyService\bin\Debug>

    After I do this I get a popup window that says
    Cannot start service from the command line or debugger.

    The event log says:
    Service cannot be started. The service process could not connect to the
    service controller

    Something strange in is when My Project, Start up object is set to
    "Service1" which is NOT the name of my class or the service.. it's
    should be EmptyService I think, but I can't seem to change this.

    Also, when I right click on the installerproject, what should I enter
    for CustomTool and CustomToolnamespace? I entered Emptyservice for
    both.

    I noticed when I click on add installer project again, it says service
    name is empty, too long or has invalid characters.

    Thanks for any help or information.

    jobs, Nov 24, 2006

  2. The service name needs to be set in the installer class.

    Peter

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog:
    http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Nov 25, 2006