    less than 10,000. Is there a limit to the number of records I can convert to
    XLS...?

    thanks!

    shank, May 5, 2004

  2. shank

    Alan Howard Guest

    I wouldn't think it's a programmatic limitation. How many records more than
    18,000? Excel 2000 for example can only handle 65536 rows. What behaviour
    are you seeing when it balks? Try commenting out the content-disposition
    line to let the page render as HTML and see what the error message says. Is
    your script timing-out?

    Alan

    "shank" <> wrote in message
    > I'm creating a spreadsheet online via ASP. I have the following at the

    page
    > top...
    >
    > <% Response.contenttype = "application/vnd.ms-excel" %>
    > <% Response.AddHeader "Content-Disposition", "filename=FullList.xls" %>
    >
    > It works fine for some 60+ manufacturer listings. However, it balks on one
    > single manufacturer. By chance, this manuf has 18,000+ records. The

    others,

    Alan Howard, May 5, 2004

  3. shank

    shank Guest

    There's 18,587 records. I commented out this line...
    <% Response.AddHeader "Content-Disposition", "filename=FullList.xls" %>
    ....and no difference at all.

    I get a message box that says...
    Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested
    site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.

    I can select any other manufacturer and it works as planned. The only
    difference I notice is the number of records.

    thanks!

    shank, May 5, 2004
  4. shank

    Alan Howard Guest

    You might see that msg if the format of the file is incorrect. Try
    commenting out the line that changes the content-type, not the
    content-disposition (my mistake sorry). You should be able to render the
    same output as HTML. What format is the data in as it's being rendered; an
    HTML table, CSV, tab-separated?

    Alan

    "shank" <> wrote in message
    > There's 18,587 records. I commented out this line...
    > <% Response.AddHeader "Content-Disposition", "filename=FullList.xls" %>
    > ...and no difference at all.
    >
    > I get a message box that says...
    > Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested
    > site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.
    >
    > I can select any other manufacturer and it works as planned. The only
    > difference I notice is the number of records.
    >
    > thanks!
    >

    > "Alan Howard" <> wrote in message
    > > I wouldn't think it's a programmatic limitation. How many records more

    > than
    > > 18,000? Excel 2000 for example can only handle 65536 rows. What

    behaviour
    > > are you seeing when it balks? Try commenting out the content-disposition
    > > line to let the page render as HTML and see what the error message says.

    > Is
    > > your script timing-out?
    > >
    > > Alan
    > >
    > > "shank" <> wrote in message
    > > > I'm creating a spreadsheet online via ASP. I have the following at the

    > > page
    > > > top...
    > > >
    > > > <% Response.contenttype = "application/vnd.ms-excel" %>
    > > > <% Response.AddHeader "Content-Disposition", "filename=FullList.xls"

    %>

    Alan Howard, May 5, 2004
  5. shank

    shank Guest

    Thanks very much! I commented out the lines and got this error: Response
    Buffer Limit Exceeded. A search on that error suggests raising the
    AspBufferingLimit setting in Metabase.xml. It did have something to do with
    the size of the records after all.

    shank, May 5, 2004