Creating a "translate" function in ASP.NET, streaming in HTML from the web?

kennethfine

I'm transitioning from ASP development, please excuse
these basic questions. One thing I did often in ASP was
create a "translate" function to render one string to
another, strip out excess carriage returns, etc.

I want to do the same thing in ASP.NET. I have a mail
component that will accept HTML, but it requires all HTML
to be listed on a single line. It takes the syntax:

msgObj.BodyParts.Add(" <html markup here> "),
BodyPartFormat.HTML)

Can someone point me to how I might translate a string
with carriage returns/newlines into a single unbroken
line? How about if I wanted to translate one character to
another?

Best would be if ASP.NET would actually visit a live page
on the web, strip out the HTML it needs, and embed it in
the string above as a single line.

Thanks in advance for any pointers or resources you might
be able to provide.

-KF

John Saunders

I bet your mail component will accept a variable which contains carriage
returns.

But you should look at the methods of the System.String class. In
particular,

Dim x as String = "something with CR and/or LF in it"
Dim stripped as String = x.Replace(ControlChars.vbCr, "
").Replace(ControlChars.vbLf, " ")

Note I'm replacing with a space, so that "A<CrLf>B" doesn't become "AB".