    long. Is there a simple way to do this? When using Windows Update, or
    McAfee .net, are they using "Web Applications", "Web Services", or "Web
    Contol Libraries"?

    Jon H, Apr 13, 2004

  2. Different software companies employ different techniques. The basics of the
    process are these:

    1. Download an executable that installs the software.
    2. Run the executable on the client machine to install.

    How this is accomplished varies. Windows Update uses an ActiveX control
    embedded in the browser. A simpler approach is to simply point a hyperlink
    to an executable on the server. The browser prompts the user as to whether
    he/she want to save or open the executable. It doesn't matter which, as if
    the user saves it, he/she will then run it to install the software.

    The executable can contain the actual files needed to install the software,
    or it can download them as needed. For example, an installation utility that
    installs a very large app might download the files it needs as needed during
    the installation. A smaller app might include all of the files in the
    executable.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    "Jon H" <> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to create an installer application that can be run from a web
    > page. I know visual basic pretty well, but I haven't work with asp.net

    very

    Kevin Spencer, Apr 13, 2004