Creating a web based installer

Jon H

I'm trying to create an installer application that can be run from a web
page. I know visual basic pretty well, but I haven't work with asp.net very
long. Is there a simple way to do this? When using Windows Update, or
McAfee .net, are they using "Web Applications", "Web Services", or "Web
Contol Libraries"?

Kevin Spencer

Different software companies employ different techniques. The basics of the
process are these:

1. Download an executable that installs the software.
2. Run the executable on the client machine to install.

How this is accomplished varies. Windows Update uses an ActiveX control
embedded in the browser. A simpler approach is to simply point a hyperlink
to an executable on the server. The browser prompts the user as to whether
he/she want to save or open the executable. It doesn't matter which, as if
the user saves it, he/she will then run it to install the software.

The executable can contain the actual files needed to install the software,
or it can download them as needed. For example, an installation utility that
installs a very large app might download the files it needs as needed during
the installation. A smaller app might include all of the files in the
executable.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer