Creating a wizard like interface.

Guest

I need to create a wizard like interface where a person picks an item on the
first page, then goes to the next page, makes a choice there, .... Ideally it
will need to be user object because of other stuff going on the page.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to do this. Should each 'page' be a
seperate user object or can I somehow bundle them all on the same page and
make things visible/invisible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jeffrey.

Guest

Hi Jeffrey,

When I need to do this, I use an asp:panel control for each "page", and have
a table as follows

<asp:panel id="1">
page 1 stuff
</asp:panel>
<asp:pane id="2">
page 2 stuff
</asp:panel>
<1-- next / back buttons here -->

And make the handlers from the next/back buttons show/hide the relevant
panels. Only thing u need to be aware of is if ur wizard has a welcome u need
to turn off any validation until they change pages, cos otherwise they cant
click next!

HTH

Dan

Kevin Spencer

User Controls can be dynamically loaded (via code).

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Ambiguity has a certain quality to it.

Guest

Jeffrey,

Agreed that panels are a good way to go. The gist is that because the whole
thing is one "page," you can use viewstate, etc., and if the user does a
reload they'll start over at the beginning. But, if you have a lot on each
panel, the html can get a little messy. You might consider instead a user
control for each one, and set each one's visible=true/false as needed, just
as you'd do for the panels, or you can combine user controls and panels. One
thing re user controls I can't swear to but appears to be true: each one's
init/load will be executed regardless of whether it's visible, so think twice
about any code you put behind there (in the best case you might do
unnecessary work in the invisible ones, but in the worst you might generate
exceptions by talking to controls that won't be rendered, etc.).

Bill