Creating an EXE for XLRD + WIN32COM + wxWidgets application - Help request

Discussion in 'Python' started by BrendanC, Apr 11, 2007.

  1. BrendanC

    BrendanC Guest

    I've started learninhg Python and have developed a small Python app
    that imports Excel data into an Access mdb/jet database. This
    application has dependencies on the following:

    XLRD - http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/xlrd/0.5.2 - (to read Excel
    files)
    Python windows extensions - http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/
    - to use ADO
    wxPython GUI toolkit - http://www.wxpython.org/ - for the GUI
    interface

    Ideally I'd like to create a standalone app that I can deliver to a
    client who can will run this on a Windows system that has Access
    installed. (Python will not be installed on this system).

    I'm planning to use P2YEXE for the build - however I'm not sure if it
    is possible to include all the required components for this in a
    package. I imagine there may be a few 'gotchas' with this.

    Any suggestions on how to do this and are there some additional issues
    I might run into?

    Thx in advance

    BrendanC
    BrendanC, Apr 11, 2007

  2. BrendanC

    Larry Bates Guest

    Re: Creating an EXE for XLRD + WIN32COM + wxWidgets application -Help request

    BrendanC wrote:
    > I've started learninhg Python and have developed a small Python app
    > that imports Excel data into an Access mdb/jet database. This
    > application has dependencies on the following:
    >
    > XLRD - http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/xlrd/0.5.2 - (to read Excel
    > files)
    > Python windows extensions - http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/
    > - to use ADO
    > wxPython GUI toolkit - http://www.wxpython.org/ - for the GUI
    > interface
    >
    > Ideally I'd like to create a standalone app that I can deliver to a
    > client who can will run this on a Windows system that has Access
    > installed. (Python will not be installed on this system).
    >
    > I'm planning to use P2YEXE for the build - however I'm not sure if it
    > is possible to include all the required components for this in a
    > package. I imagine there may be a few 'gotchas' with this.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to do this and are there some additional issues
    > I might run into?
    >
    > Thx in advance
    >
    > BrendanC

    I can tell you that I've used py2exe to build quite a number of apps
    that depended on many different pieces. I have not experience with XLRD
    but the other pieces you use work just fine. Check on www.py2exe.org
    for docs an wiki. There is also a newsgroup at gmane.comp.python.py2exe
    that you can submit questions to if you like. I know that it is
    monitored by Mark Hammond, Thomas Heller, and other users of py2exe
    that can help you.

    -Larry
    Larry Bates, Apr 12, 2007

  3. BrendanC

    John Machin Guest

    On Apr 12, 11:58 pm, Larry Bates <> wrote:
    > BrendanC wrote:
    > > I've started learninhg Python and have developed a small Python app
    > > that imports Excel data into an Access mdb/jet database. This
    > > application has dependencies on the following:

    > > XLRD -http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/xlrd/0.5.2 - (to read Excel
    > > files)
    > > Python windows extensions -http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/
    > > - to use ADO
    > > wxPython GUI toolkit -http://www.wxpython.org/- for the GUI
    > > interface

    > > Ideally I'd like to create a standalone app that I can deliver to a
    > > client who can will run this on a Windows system that has Access
    > > installed. (Python will not be installed on this system).

    > > I'm planning to use P2YEXE for the build - however I'm not sure if it
    > > is possible to include all the required components for this in a
    > > package. I imagine there may be a few 'gotchas' with this.

    > > Any suggestions on how to do this and are there some additional issues
    > > I might run into?

    > > Thx in advance

    > > BrendanC

    > I can tell you that I've used py2exe to build quite a number of apps
    > that depended on many different pieces. I have not experience with XLRD
    > but the other pieces you use work just fine.

    xlrd [save wear and tear on the shift key!] up to version 0.6.1 at
    least is a pure-Python package with no dependencies on 3rd-party
    modules/packages and is very unlikely to cause grief with py2exe; I'd
    like to hear any evidence to the contrary PDQ.

    The OP is best advised to "just do it" :)

    HTH,
    John
    John Machin, Apr 12, 2007