    XML.

    App will be written in C#.NET

    Help Please!?

    JemmimmaP, Sep 9, 2010

  2. JemmimmaP

    Kutle Boy Guest

    > I've got to write an app to allow someone to enter financial
    > information, which will then be stored in SQL and then produce an XBRL
    > compliant document.
    >
    > I have the taxonomy from the company it has to be submitted to - but
    > what now? where do I start? I've not done a huge amount of work with
    > XML.
    >
    > App will be written in C#.NET
    >
    > Help Please!?

    What exactly do you want?

    A conceptual description?

    1.) Provide a form with text boxes to user who will enter the data
    2.) Understand where to insert that data into XBRL file(respecting that
    company taxonomy off course)
    3.) Complete the rest (proper format of the file and submitting procedure)

    Kutle Boy, Sep 9, 2010

  3. JemmimmaP

    JemmimmaP Guest

    haha, I guess I was vague ;)

    I can create the input app fine and saving the data to SQL no probs -
    I'm looking for a rough idea of getting info back out and placed into
    an XML file that will be validated against the taxonomy - are there
    any example out there or what's the best tools to use? I'm using
    VS2008, SQL2005

    JemmimmaP, Sep 9, 2010
  4. JemmimmaP

    StefanM Guest

    I would recommend a look at Altova's tools called XMLSpy and MapForce.
    As you have your data already in the database you could use MapForce
    to create a mapping into your taxonomy. You can also generate C# code
    which will do the mapping. IIRC there should also be some samples
    about MapForce and XBRL mappings.

    HTH,
    Stefan

    StefanM, Sep 13, 2010
  5. JemmimmaP

    Kutle Boy Guest

    > haha, I guess I was vague ;)
    >
    > I can create the input app fine and saving the data to SQL no probs -
    > I'm looking for a rough idea of getting info back out and placed into
    > an XML file that will be validated against the taxonomy - are there
    > any example out there or what's the best tools to use? I'm using
    > VS2008, SQL2005

    Questions:

    1.) Which tools (programming languages) have you used so far to
    manipulate(create/save) XML document?
    2.) How experienced you are with XML?
    3.) At this stage, which is your primary concern - the "technical" validity
    of XML document or the "logical" (data inserted on right positions)?

    Kutle Boy, Sep 13, 2010
  6. JemmimmaP

    WhatIThink

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2008
    Messages:
    9
    As has been already noted, you can leverage a royalty-free API from Altova called AltovaXML to add XML and XBRL intelligence to your application.

    XBRL is indeed XML, but you have to have an understanding of XML, XML Namespaces, XML Schema , XLink and the XBRL Specification and potentially extensions to that Specification, such as Dimensions 1.0. Depending on your implementation (possibly the US SEC Interactive Data Mandate), a filing is not just the XML instance document, but also the company extension taxonomy, made up of a schema and associated linkbases.

    You asked for examples of documents - you can find them by the thousands in the SEC's repository, EDGAR; the most recent are announced in their RSS feed, available from the XBRL portal . Examples of another kind, the more hierarchical XBRL GL, can be found at the study site called GaLaPaGoS.

    A mailing list you may find especially helpful is the Yahoo Group called xbrl-dev , a public list for XBRL developers.

    My apologies that I do not have enough access on this mailing list to post links; I hope I have given you sufficient information to be able to use a search engine or intuition to find what you need.

    WhatIThink, Sep 16, 2010