Creating an XBRL compliant document

JemmimmaP

I've got to write an app to allow someone to enter financial
information, which will then be stored in SQL and then produce an XBRL
compliant document.

I have the taxonomy from the company it has to be submitted to - but
what now? where do I start? I've not done a huge amount of work with
XML.

App will be written in C#.NET

Help Please!?

Kutle Boy

I've got to write an app to allow someone to enter financial
information, which will then be stored in SQL and then produce an XBRL
compliant document.

I have the taxonomy from the company it has to be submitted to - but
what now? where do I start? I've not done a huge amount of work with
XML.

App will be written in C#.NET

Help Please!?

What exactly do you want?

A conceptual description?

1.) Provide a form with text boxes to user who will enter the data
2.) Understand where to insert that data into XBRL file(respecting that
company taxonomy off course)
3.) Complete the rest (proper format of the file and submitting procedure)

JemmimmaP

haha, I guess I was vague ;)

I can create the input app fine and saving the data to SQL no probs -
I'm looking for a rough idea of getting info back out and placed into
an XML file that will be validated against the taxonomy - are there
any example out there or what's the best tools to use? I'm using
VS2008, SQL2005

StefanM

I would recommend a look at Altova's tools called XMLSpy and MapForce.
As you have your data already in the database you could use MapForce
to create a mapping into your taxonomy. You can also generate C# code
which will do the mapping. IIRC there should also be some samples
about MapForce and XBRL mappings.

HTH,
Stefan

Kutle Boy

haha, I guess I was vague ;)
I can create the input app fine and saving the data to SQL no probs -
I'm looking for a rough idea of getting info back out and placed into
an XML file that will be validated against the taxonomy - are there
any example out there or what's the best tools to use? I'm using
VS2008, SQL2005

Questions:

1.) Which tools (programming languages) have you used so far to
manipulate(create/save) XML document?
2.) How experienced you are with XML?
3.) At this stage, which is your primary concern - the "technical" validity
of XML document or the "logical" (data inserted on right positions)?

Joined
Dec 2, 2008
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
JemmimmaP said:
I've got to write an app to allow someone to enter financial
information, which will then be stored in SQL and then produce an XBRL
compliant document.

I have the taxonomy from the company it has to be submitted to - but
what now? where do I start? I've not done a huge amount of work with
XML.

App will be written in C#.NET

Help Please!?

As has been already noted, you can leverage a royalty-free API from Altova called AltovaXML to add XML and XBRL intelligence to your application.

XBRL is indeed XML, but you have to have an understanding of XML, XML Namespaces, XML Schema , XLink and the XBRL Specification and potentially extensions to that Specification, such as Dimensions 1.0. Depending on your implementation (possibly the US SEC Interactive Data Mandate), a filing is not just the XML instance document, but also the company extension taxonomy, made up of a schema and associated linkbases.

You asked for examples of documents - you can find them by the thousands in the SEC's repository, EDGAR; the most recent are announced in their RSS feed, available from the XBRL portal . Examples of another kind, the more hierarchical XBRL GL, can be found at the study site called GaLaPaGoS.

A mailing list you may find especially helpful is the Yahoo Group called xbrl-dev , a public list for XBRL developers.

My apologies that I do not have enough access on this mailing list to post links; I hope I have given you sufficient information to be able to use a search engine or intuition to find what you need.