Creating and submitting POST form in Perl

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by J.P., Nov 11, 2003.

  1. J.P.

    J.P. Guest

    To anyone who might be able to help here,

    I am not necessarily new to Perl, but I have a question regarding
    creating and submitting a POST form in Perl. I know how to use the
    CGI.pm module to create dynamic pages, but I don't necessarily want to
    display a page here.

    I am creating a process where my script automagically runs, creates a
    POST request (automagically filling in all the required data) and
    submits itself to a particular web page for processing. I intend to
    capture the response from the web page and parse out all data that I
    need.

    I've been seeking a way to create a POST form in Perl and handling the
    auto-submission. But, how can I do this? I don't need to display my
    form that Perl will create....I just need to create the request and
    fire it off.

    If ANYONE out there can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. I've
    been going in circles now for 3 days, trying to scour the web and
    books for answers. Nothing...

    Thank you VERY much in advance for any help!

    J.P. Zurilgen
    Sr. Solutions Developer, SAIC

    J.P., Nov 11, 2003

  2. J.P.

    J. Gleixner Guest

    J.P. wrote:

    > I've been seeking a way to create a POST form in Perl and handling the
    > auto-submission. But, how can I do this? I don't need to display my
    > form that Perl will create....I just need to create the request and
    > fire it off.

    LWP will help you out.

    perldoc lwpcook

    J. Gleixner, Nov 11, 2003

  3. J.P.

    Ben Morrow Guest

    "J. Gleixner" <> wrote:
    > J.P. wrote:
    >

    > > I've been seeking a way to create a POST form in Perl and handling the
    > > auto-submission. But, how can I do this? I don't need to display my
    > > form that Perl will create....I just need to create the request and
    > > fire it off.

    > LWP will help you out.
    >
    > perldoc lwpcook

    Or perhaps WWW::Automate.

    Ben

    --
    Every twenty-four hours about 34k children die from the effects of poverty.
    Meanwhile, the latest estimate is that 2800 people died on 9/11, so it's like

    Ben Morrow, Nov 11, 2003
  4. J.P. <> wrote:

    > To anyone who might be able to help here,

    Here is some help:

    Check the Perl FAQ *before* posting to the Perl newsgroup.

    > I've been seeking a way to create a POST form in Perl and handling the
    > auto-submission. But, how can I do this?

    perldoc -q form

    How do I automate an HTML form submission?

    > I've
    > been going in circles now for 3 days, trying to scour the web and
    > books for answers.

    You will be disappointed to discover that the answer was already
    on your very own hard disk then...

    > Thank you VERY much in advance for any help!

    Follow netiquette and prosper.

    Ignore netiquette and waste 3 days plus the time of thousands of
    other people around the world.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Nov 12, 2003
  5. J.P.

    J.P. Guest

    Mr. McClellan,

    Maybe you should attempt to be a bit less high and mighty...and
    actually help eliminate problems rather than adding to them.

    As I said, I scoured the area (TO INCLUDE my hard drive)...and I have
    NOT found an answer yet. Although I can do the auto-submission, I
    still haven't created the request. I don't want to display a
    page...just create a request with all my info and POST it forward.

    I think that the Perl world could use a lot fewer "self-righteous"
    people...and a few more truly helpful individuals.

    Just remember: when you were born, you didn't know Perl. Other
    newbies are trying to get to where you are at, skill-wise. Why don't
    you help repay what others before you helped you to become.

    Flame on!

    J.P.

    J.P., Nov 12, 2003
  6. J.P.

    J.P. Guest

    Thanks for the heads-up! I appreciate the point in the right
    direction...

    I must say...if people aren't allowed to ask questions on these
    newsgroups, then what are they for? :)

    Sincerely thank you, Mr. Gleixner!

    J.P.

    J.P., Nov 12, 2003
  7. J.P.

    Ben Morrow Guest

    (J.P.) wrote:
    > Mr. McClellan,
    >
    > Maybe you should attempt to be a bit less high and mighty...and
    > actually help eliminate problems rather than adding to them.
    >
    > As I said, I scoured the area (TO INCLUDE my hard drive)...and I have
    > NOT found an answer yet. Although I can do the auto-submission, I
    > still haven't created the request. I don't want to display a
    > page...just create a request with all my info and POST it forward.
    >
    > I think that the Perl world could use a lot fewer "self-righteous"
    > people...and a few more truly helpful individuals.
    >
    > Just remember: when you were born, you didn't know Perl. Other
    > newbies are trying to get to where you are at, skill-wise. Why don't
    > you help repay what others before you helped you to become.
    >
    > Flame on!

    I think you will find that Tad gave you the answer you wanted.

    I think you would also find, if you were to hang around here for a
    little while, that he nearly always gives extremely helpful advice to
    all and sundry.

    If you are not a little more careful, this will soon cease to include
    you.

    *PLONK*

    Ben

    --
    If I were a butterfly I'd live for a day, / I would be free, just blowing away.
    This cruel country has driven me down / Teased me and lied, teased me and lied.

    Ben Morrow, Nov 12, 2003
  8. On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, J.P. deposited TOFU onto the eternal scroll:

    > Mr. McClellan,

    This here's a public forum. Tad has an email address for personal
    matters. But he sure doesn't deserve the treatment he's getting from
    you.

    > Maybe you should attempt to be a bit less high and mighty...and
    > actually help eliminate problems rather than adding to them.

    *plonk*

    Alan J. Flavell, Nov 12, 2003
  9. J.P. <> wrote:

    > Thanks for the heads-up!

    That is the same heads-up that I gave you.

    > Sincerely thank you, Mr. Gleixner!

    But I got a somewhat different response...

    Tad McClellan, Nov 12, 2003
  10. Please don't top-post. That makes life easier for everybody.
    Thank you.

    J.P. wrote:
    > Mr. McClellan,
    >
    > Maybe you should attempt to be a bit less high and mighty...and
    > actually help eliminate problems rather than adding to them.

    If you had read his answer instead of being offended that he didn't
    bother to stoke your self-esteem, you would have noticed that he *did*
    answer your question. Even better, he told you how you can answer
    such questions for yourself in the future.

    > As I said, I scoured the area (TO INCLUDE my hard drive)...and I have
    > NOT found an answer yet.

    Because you didn't know how to look. Tad told you how to look.

    > Although I can do the auto-submission, I
    > still haven't created the request. I don't want to display a
    > page...just create a request with all my info and POST it forward.
    >
    > I think that the Perl world could use a lot fewer "self-righteous"
    > people...and a few more truly helpful individuals.

    There are a lot of truly helpful individuals, including Tad. Unfortunately,
    you probably won't be able to ask them for help any more, because you just
    got listed in a lot of killfiles.

    > Just remember: when you were born, you didn't know Perl. Other
    > newbies are trying to get to where you are at, skill-wise. Why don't
    > you help repay what others before you helped you to become.

    They did. Tad told you how to find answers for yourself. You get
    where the experts are not by knowing all the answers but by knowing
    how to get the answers.

    Chris Mattern

    Chris Mattern, Nov 12, 2003