Creating and submitting POST form in Perl

J.P.

To anyone who might be able to help here,

I am not necessarily new to Perl, but I have a question regarding
creating and submitting a POST form in Perl. I know how to use the
CGI.pm module to create dynamic pages, but I don't necessarily want to
display a page here.

I am creating a process where my script automagically runs, creates a
POST request (automagically filling in all the required data) and
submits itself to a particular web page for processing. I intend to
capture the response from the web page and parse out all data that I
need.

I've been seeking a way to create a POST form in Perl and handling the
auto-submission. But, how can I do this? I don't need to display my
form that Perl will create....I just need to create the request and
fire it off.

If ANYONE out there can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. I've
been going in circles now for 3 days, trying to scour the web and
books for answers. Nothing...

Thank you VERY much in advance for any help!

J.P. Zurilgen
Sr. Solutions Developer, SAIC

J. Gleixner

J.P. wrote:

I've been seeking a way to create a POST form in Perl and handling the
auto-submission. But, how can I do this? I don't need to display my
form that Perl will create....I just need to create the request and
fire it off.

LWP will help you out.

perldoc lwpcook

Tad McClellan

J.P. said:
To anyone who might be able to help here,

Here is some help:

Check the Perl FAQ *before* posting to the Perl newsgroup.

I've been seeking a way to create a POST form in Perl and handling the
auto-submission. But, how can I do this?

perldoc -q form

How do I automate an HTML form submission?

I've
been going in circles now for 3 days, trying to scour the web and
books for answers.

You will be disappointed to discover that the answer was already
on your very own hard disk then...

Thank you VERY much in advance for any help!

Follow netiquette and prosper.

Ignore netiquette and waste 3 days plus the time of thousands of
other people around the world.

J.P.

Mr. McClellan,

Maybe you should attempt to be a bit less high and mighty...and
actually help eliminate problems rather than adding to them.

As I said, I scoured the area (TO INCLUDE my hard drive)...and I have
NOT found an answer yet. Although I can do the auto-submission, I
still haven't created the request. I don't want to display a
page...just create a request with all my info and POST it forward.

I think that the Perl world could use a lot fewer "self-righteous"
people...and a few more truly helpful individuals.

Just remember: when you were born, you didn't know Perl. Other
newbies are trying to get to where you are at, skill-wise. Why don't
you help repay what others before you helped you to become.

Flame on!

J.P.

J.P.

Thanks for the heads-up! I appreciate the point in the right
direction...

I must say...if people aren't allowed to ask questions on these
newsgroups, then what are they for? :)

Sincerely thank you, Mr. Gleixner!

J.P.

Ben Morrow

Mr. McClellan,

Maybe you should attempt to be a bit less high and mighty...and
actually help eliminate problems rather than adding to them.

As I said, I scoured the area (TO INCLUDE my hard drive)...and I have
NOT found an answer yet. Although I can do the auto-submission, I
still haven't created the request. I don't want to display a
page...just create a request with all my info and POST it forward.

I think that the Perl world could use a lot fewer "self-righteous"
people...and a few more truly helpful individuals.

Just remember: when you were born, you didn't know Perl. Other
newbies are trying to get to where you are at, skill-wise. Why don't
you help repay what others before you helped you to become.

Flame on!

I think you will find that Tad gave you the answer you wanted.

I think you would also find, if you were to hang around here for a
little while, that he nearly always gives extremely helpful advice to
all and sundry.

If you are not a little more careful, this will soon cease to include
you.

*PLONK*

Ben

Alan J. Flavell

Mr. McClellan,

This here's a public forum. Tad has an email address for personal
matters. But he sure doesn't deserve the treatment he's getting from
you.
Maybe you should attempt to be a bit less high and mighty...and
actually help eliminate problems rather than adding to them.

*plonk*

Chris Mattern

Please don't top-post. That makes life easier for everybody.
Thank you.

J.P. said:
Mr. McClellan,

Maybe you should attempt to be a bit less high and mighty...and
actually help eliminate problems rather than adding to them.

If you had read his answer instead of being offended that he didn't
bother to stoke your self-esteem, you would have noticed that he *did*
answer your question. Even better, he told you how you can answer
such questions for yourself in the future.
As I said, I scoured the area (TO INCLUDE my hard drive)...and I have
NOT found an answer yet.

Because you didn't know how to look. Tad told you how to look.
Although I can do the auto-submission, I
still haven't created the request. I don't want to display a
page...just create a request with all my info and POST it forward.

I think that the Perl world could use a lot fewer "self-righteous"
people...and a few more truly helpful individuals.

There are a lot of truly helpful individuals, including Tad. Unfortunately,
you probably won't be able to ask them for help any more, because you just
got listed in a lot of killfiles.
Just remember: when you were born, you didn't know Perl. Other
newbies are trying to get to where you are at, skill-wise. Why don't
you help repay what others before you helped you to become.

They did. Tad told you how to find answers for yourself. You get
where the experts are not by knowing all the answers but by knowing
how to get the answers.

Chris Mattern