Creating Application under IIS6 - Doesnt recognise Global.asa

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by CJM, Apr 28, 2004.

  1. CJM

    CJM Guest

    I've create a simple application on my development machine (XP/IIS5.1), but
    when I transfer it across the the live server (W2k3/IIS6) I'm having
    problems.

    The application should pick up some configuration information from
    Global.asa (ie held in application variables), but on the live system this
    doesnt work - it is as if the server doesnt recognise that it is an
    application, ie it doesnt recognise the global.asa file.

    The application is a part of a greater intranet system. If I define these
    application variables in the top level global.asa, the application can
    access them! Why is this??

    To create the application (in IIS terms), I selected the appropriate folder
    in the MMC, opened the properties dialog, and clicked on the Create button.
    AFAIK, this is all that is need to be done... am I missing something?

    Thanks

    Chris
    CJM, Apr 28, 2004

  2. CJM

    [MSFT] Guest

    [MSFT], Apr 29, 2004

  3. CJM

    CJM Guest

    http://<Server>/<VirtualDir>/<SubDir>/<MyAppDir>/some.asp

    Note: The server root is an application in it's own right, so yes, my app is
    in a subfolder of a 'greater' application.

    Chris

    CJM, Apr 29, 2004
  4. CJM

    CJM Guest

    I followed your suggestions, but they didnt work.

    So then I tried something else...

    The site was is follows:

    Intranet
    --Folder 1
    --IntranetContent (Virtual Dir)
    ----SubFolder 1
    ----AppFolder (My application)
    ----SubFolder 3
    --Folder 2
    --Folder n
    --WebContent
    ----SubFolder 1
    ----SubFolder 2(Also my application?)
    ----SubFolder 3

    It's important to note here that the IntranetContent virtual dir actually
    points to the WebContent folder under the intranet root. Although this seems
    odd, this is because this folder used to be elsewhere in the file system,
    and may again be elsewhere at some point in the future - hence we refer to
    it via a virtual dir, so that if we move it, we can re-point the virtual dir
    to the right place.

    I originally configured the IntranetContent/AppFolder folder as an
    application in IIS; This is where I have had the problems. However, I tried
    removing that application, and creating the application in
    WebContent/SubFolder 2. In this situation, it recognises my application and
    thus responds to the correct global.asa.

    After further investigation, I finally got down to the crux of the
    problem... this site has only recently been moved to this new server. In the
    site-level global.asa there is an application variable that records the
    virtual dir name of the content area. It appears that not only did my
    colleagues place the WebContent dir beneath the main site (which is unusual
    given the flexible design), but they then set this application variable to
    the wrong place - although they recreated the IntranetContent virtual dir,
    they told the main application to look at the real WebContent dir rather
    than the virtual dir. Thus my application folder WAS configured correctly,
    but the site was accessing the application pages via the wrong route:

    Intranet/WebContent/AppFolder was the route of access, but
    Intranet/IntranetContent/AppFolder was the true application.

    So after a bit of head scratching, I finally have the problem solved.

    Thanks for your help.

    Chris
    CJM, Apr 29, 2004
  5. CJM

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hi Chris,

    I am glad to hear that problem has been resolved. :)

    Thank you for sharing the experience, I believe this can benefit other
    users.

    Regards,

    Luke
    Microsoft Online Support