Creating Application under IIS6 - Doesnt recognise Global.asa

CJM

I've create a simple application on my development machine (XP/IIS5.1), but
when I transfer it across the the live server (W2k3/IIS6) I'm having
problems.

The application should pick up some configuration information from
Global.asa (ie held in application variables), but on the live system this
doesnt work - it is as if the server doesnt recognise that it is an
application, ie it doesnt recognise the global.asa file.

The application is a part of a greater intranet system. If I define these
application variables in the top level global.asa, the application can
access them! Why is this??

To create the application (in IIS terms), I selected the appropriate folder
in the MMC, opened the properties dialog, and clicked on the Create button.
AFAIK, this is all that is need to be done... am I missing something?

Thanks

Chris

CJM

http://<Server>/<VirtualDir>/<SubDir>/<MyAppDir>/some.asp

Note: The server root is an application in it's own right, so yes, my app is
in a subfolder of a 'greater' application.

Chris

CJM

I followed your suggestions, but they didnt work.

So then I tried something else...

The site was is follows:

Intranet
--Folder 1
--IntranetContent (Virtual Dir)
----SubFolder 1
----AppFolder (My application)
----SubFolder 3
--Folder 2
--Folder n
--WebContent
----SubFolder 1
----SubFolder 2(Also my application?)
----SubFolder 3

It's important to note here that the IntranetContent virtual dir actually
points to the WebContent folder under the intranet root. Although this seems
odd, this is because this folder used to be elsewhere in the file system,
and may again be elsewhere at some point in the future - hence we refer to
it via a virtual dir, so that if we move it, we can re-point the virtual dir
to the right place.

I originally configured the IntranetContent/AppFolder folder as an
application in IIS; This is where I have had the problems. However, I tried
removing that application, and creating the application in
WebContent/SubFolder 2. In this situation, it recognises my application and
thus responds to the correct global.asa.

After further investigation, I finally got down to the crux of the
problem... this site has only recently been moved to this new server. In the
site-level global.asa there is an application variable that records the
virtual dir name of the content area. It appears that not only did my
colleagues place the WebContent dir beneath the main site (which is unusual
given the flexible design), but they then set this application variable to
the wrong place - although they recreated the IntranetContent virtual dir,
they told the main application to look at the real WebContent dir rather
than the virtual dir. Thus my application folder WAS configured correctly,
but the site was accessing the application pages via the wrong route:

Intranet/WebContent/AppFolder was the route of access, but
Intranet/IntranetContent/AppFolder was the true application.

So after a bit of head scratching, I finally have the problem solved.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

[MSFT]

Hi Chris,

I am glad to hear that problem has been resolved. :)

Thank you for sharing the experience, I believe this can benefit other
users.

Regards,

Luke
Microsoft Online Support