    I copied the files to the Visual Studio Projects folder and tried to open it
    as a project but I got an error.

    How can I access this old VB ASP.NET application in Visual Studio?
    Dave, Nov 13, 2004

  2. Dave,

    You should be able to directly open the original project up. Just back that
    one up first. If that doesn't work, some more detail would help such as the
    errors you are receiving, etc.

    Thanks,
    Ian Suttle
    http://www.IanSuttle.com

    =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIFN1dHRsZQ==?=, Nov 14, 2004

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Thanks Ian

    To recap:
    1. I took an old ASP.NET project (the files and folders) and copied them to:
    C:\inetpub\wwwroot\old\myprojectname
    2. I copied these same files and folders to:
    C:\Documents and Settings\dave\My Documents\Visual Studio
    Projects\myprojectname
    3. In a browser I can view the pages on the local machine as:
    http://dell9/old/myprojectname/Default.aspx
    4. But I cannot load this project into Visual Studio 2003. When I go to
    "Open Project" and point to the file myprojectname.vbproj and try to open, I
    get the message:
    The projejct you are trying to open is a web project. You need to open
    it by specifying a URL path.
    5.So I type in
    http://dell9/old/myprojectname/myprojectname.vbproj
    And I get:
    read only version?
    I click "yes" and the project loads and I am prompted to convert to the new
    version of VS. Then, despite the fact that it said it was read only, I can
    make changes in the project files. So all appears to be well.

    I guess my only question is, is this the correct way to copy a .NET project
    from one machine to another when you do not have direct connectivity?

    IOW, if the original server is unavailable and all you have are the files to
    a .NET project folder, is this the best practice for installing the project
    on a new server?

    Dave, Nov 14, 2004
  4. Hi Dave,

    I think the problem is that for ASP.NET Web project, it must be hosted in
    IIS's virutal dir(configured as an application) rather than put in a normal
    folder (just as a winform project). As far as to vs.net 2003, the IIS is
    still necessary, in VS.NET2005, there'll provide a test server (in
    VS.NETIDE ) so that we don't need to reply on IIS.
    Currently when we want to move a web project from one server to another.
    We'd better following the following means:
    1. Create a new IIS virutal directory and configure it as "Application"
    (properites in IIS management console).

    2. Copy all the project's files to that new created vritual dir on the new
    server.

    3. Each asp.net web project will contains a webinfo file.
    ProjectName.csproj.webinfo, you can use notepad to open it and there'll
    contains the web project's url info such as :
    <VisualStudioUNCWeb>
    <Web URLPath =
    "http://localhost/WebApplication1/WebApplication1.csproj" />
    </VisualStudioUNCWeb>

    be sure to modify it to the correct value on your new server . Then you can
    click the project file (*.csproj or *.vbproj ) to let the new VS.NET ide to
    open it and convert it.

    Also, here are some kb articles discussing on the similiar problem:

    #HOW TO: Move Your Visual Studio .NET Web Project to Another Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326495

    #HOW TO: Deploy an ASP.NET Web Application Using the Copy Project Feature
    in Visual Studio .NET
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326356

    Hope also helps. Thanks.

    Regards,