Creating browser sniffer with ASP.Net

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgQmFrZXI=?=, May 3, 2004.

  1. Hi all

    I am very new to ASP.Net. I am trying to create a sniffer for our program. We want our users to click our sniffer and hopefully the sniffer will check their computer against our requirements. I would like to ask experts like you to see which items are actually doable with ASP.Net. Below I listed all of the items we are looking for but I can understand if some of the items are impossible to check/sniff. We would like to create a sniffer that returns the results for the below items

    Broswer (minimum requirement is I.E. 6 for PC and Safari for Mac OS X
    Browser type (This area will tell them what they have -AOL, MSN, IE...etc and in the list returns a red gif image if they don't have IE 6 or Safari
    Browser version (This area will tell them what version they have and again returns a red gif image if they have an earlier version
    Cookies (In this area we are basically trying to find out in the browser window - just for IE - if their privacy setting is set to the following: The window name is: Advanced Privacy Settings. We want "Override automatic cookie handling" to be checked; first-party-cookies and third-party-cookies radio buttons are checked and "Always allow session cookies" are checked. We also want if our website is listed in the "Per Site Privacy Actions" window (you can get to window by clicking in IE Tools-Internet Options-Privacy-Websites-Edit)
    Cache (In this area we are trying to find out if their "Temporary Internet Files" settings is set to "Every visit to the page"
    OS Version (This area will tell them what version they have and returns a red gif image if they don't have Windows XP or Mac OS X
    Connection speed (This area will tell them what their connection speed is and returns a red gif image if they have dial-up connection
    Display settings (This area will tell them what their screen resolution is
    Service Pack ( This area will tell them if they have Service Pack 1 for Windows XP
    Flash (This area will tell them if they have Flash plug-ins
    Java (This area will tell them if they have Java Virtual Machine
    Java Applets (This area will tell them if they have some of our applets installed in this directory: C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program Files
    Java Script (This area will tell them if some of the items in browsers "Security Setting" window (IE-Tools-Options-Security-Custom Level
    Adobe Acrobat Reader (This area will tell them if they have Acrobat Reader 6.0
    Do you have a media player? (This area will tell them if they have any media player (Windows Media, Real player, Winamp...etc
    What program will open TIFs (This area will tell them what program is associated to open with the files with the extension .tiff
    Firewall check (This area will tell them if they are behind a firewall
    Pop-up window check (This area will tell them if there is any program that is blocking pop-up windows such as search toolbars
    Parasites (This are will tell them if they are infected with parasites

    Thank you in advance. Any ideas would help

    Dave Bake

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgQmFrZXI=?=, May 3, 2004

  2. That's a heck of a lot more information than their browser is going to send
    with a Request. You will need to write an ActiveX Control or Java Applet to
    run on the client and perform this type of testing.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, May 3, 2004

  3. Hi David,

    This article will show you pretty well all of the info you can get using the
    Request object in ASP.NET:

    HOW TO: Determine the Browser Version in ASP.NET

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311281

    System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
    Dim bc As HttpBrowserCapabilities
    Dim s As String = ""
    bc = Request.Browser
    With bc
    s &= "Browser Capabilities" & vbCrLf
    s &= "Type = " & .Type & vbCrLf
    s &= "Name = " & .Browser & vbCrLf
    s &= "Version = " & .Version & vbCrLf
    s &= "Major Version = " & .MajorVersion & vbCrLf
    s &= "Minor Version = " & .MinorVersion & vbCrLf
    s &= "Platform = " & .Platform & vbCrLf
    s &= "Is Beta = " & .Beta & vbCrLf
    s &= "Is Crawler = " & .Crawler & vbCrLf
    s &= "Is AOL = " & .AOL & vbCrLf
    s &= "Is Win16 = " & .Win16 & vbCrLf
    s &= "Is Win32 = " & .Win32 & vbCrLf
    s &= "Supports Frames = " & .Frames & vbCrLf
    s &= "Supports Tables = " & .Tables & vbCrLf
    s &= "Supports Cookies = " & .Cookies & vbCrLf
    s &= "Supports VB Script = " & .VBScript & vbCrLf
    s &= "Supports JavaScript = " & .JavaScript & vbCrLf
    s &= "Supports Java Applets = " & .JavaApplets & vbCrLf
    s &= "Supports ActiveX Controls = " & .ActiveXControls & vbCrLf
    End With
    TextBox1.Text = s
    End Sub

    HOW TO: Determine Browser Type in Server-Side Code Without the BrowserType
    Object in ASP.NET

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306576

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], May 3, 2004
  4. Thank you both for replying. From what I understand from your replies, I have two options: either use ASP.Net and create a server-side scripting (which Kevin says it is difficult to accomplish) or create a client-side scripting (using Active X or Jscript). Is that correct? If so, which path do you recommend me to go

    Thanks a bunch, this information is very useful to get started

    Dav

    ----- Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP] wrote: ----

    Hi David

    This article will show you pretty well all of the info you can get using the
    Request object in ASP.NET

    HOW TO: Determine the Browser Version in ASP.NE

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;31128

    System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Clic
    Dim bc As HttpBrowserCapabilitie
    Dim s As String = "
    bc = Request.Browse
    With b
    s &= "Browser Capabilities" & vbCrL
    s &= "Type = " & .Type & vbCrL
    s &= "Name = " & .Browser & vbCrL
    s &= "Version = " & .Version & vbCrL
    s &= "Major Version = " & .MajorVersion & vbCrL
    s &= "Minor Version = " & .MinorVersion & vbCrL
    s &= "Platform = " & .Platform & vbCrL
    s &= "Is Beta = " & .Beta & vbCrL
    s &= "Is Crawler = " & .Crawler & vbCrL
    s &= "Is AOL = " & .AOL & vbCrL
    s &= "Is Win16 = " & .Win16 & vbCrL
    s &= "Is Win32 = " & .Win32 & vbCrL
    s &= "Supports Frames = " & .Frames & vbCrL
    s &= "Supports Tables = " & .Tables & vbCrL
    s &= "Supports Cookies = " & .Cookies & vbCrL
    s &= "Supports VB Script = " & .VBScript & vbCrL
    s &= "Supports JavaScript = " & .JavaScript & vbCrL
    s &= "Supports Java Applets = " & .JavaApplets & vbCrL
    s &= "Supports ActiveX Controls = " & .ActiveXControls & vbCrL
    End Wit
    TextBox1.Text =
    End Su

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgQmFrZXI=?=, May 3, 2004
  5. Hi Dave,

    I think you're going to need an ActiveX control or a rich .NET client to get
    what you need. You've got to search for stuff on the drive and in the
    registry.

    The control would be along the lines of what they use at Windows Update. The
    user is going to have to accept the security warning in the browser before
    the control can start scanning.

    Ken

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], May 3, 2004
  6. Thank you so much again. This information helps me a lot. Have a nice day

    Dave

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgQmFrZXI=?=, May 3, 2004