    rather lotus notes and want to send email to an smtp server. these emails
    have local attachment thus the need to run client script versus server
    scripts. is this possible or am i on the wrong track.

    RedMoosh, Oct 17, 2006

  2. You are most likely on the wrong track.

    1. Client-side vbscript is a bad choice.
    2. This isn't a client-side group
    3. Why would you want to send e-mail from a CLIENT machine? This is what
    the server is for!
    4. Lotus Notes? Please relay my condolences to those users.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 18, 2006

  3. RedMoosh

    RedMoosh Guest

    we need to send bulk email, sometimes to 3000 users, and each email can have
    3 or 4 attachments. the user/client has access to the attachments not the
    server. why should the server be using its resources while the client is
    doing nothing. how am i on the wrong track?

    RedMoosh, Oct 18, 2006
  4. Have the user upload the docs and let the server handle the e-mailing. If
    you're creating a Web-app, let the Web server do the work. The client may
    or may not be sitting there doing nothing, but what the client is or isn't
    doing is not relevant in the world of Web-based programming. You have to
    assume that your client is nothing more than a Web browser, for the most
    part.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 18, 2006
  5. RedMoosh

    Mike Brind Guest

    I assume that your workstations are connected to the Internet through your
    server? If this is the case, then the server will be doing the bulk of the
    work anyway. The creation of the email itself is not that resource
    intensive compared to the log jam that will be caused to your network when
    trying to squeeze 3,000 emails with attachments through it.

    Is sending attachments the best way to achieve what you want? What about
    providing links in the email so that recipients can download the docs from
    your server if they need/want to?

    Also, in answer to the question, why should the server be doing the work -
    that's what they are intended for. If yours isn't up to it, you should
    upgrade - and that's even more reason for you to rethink your approach.

    Nevertheless, if you still want to go the route you propose, have a look at
    ..vbs files on each workstation under the task scheduler, ensure that an SMTP
    service is running on each machine, and follow up in a more appropriate
    group such as microsoft.public.scripting.wsh.

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Oct 18, 2006
  6. RedMoosh

    redmoosh Guest

    thanks for all your emails.

    Yes. the workstations are connected to the internet. i don't
    understand what you mean by log jam. you mean if i were to create
    these emails with attachments on the client and then send them to the
    SMTP server, then the network will be jammed up. or it will be jammed
    up no matter if it is running on the server or the client.

    we can't provide link because we will have to keep these documents on
    the server forever and that is not possible. we want to send the docs
    and then delete them.

    if we were to use the client cdosys.dll to create the email, then why
    do we have to have SMTP services running on each client? i don't
    understand why we would need .vbs to ensure smtp services is running.

    redmoosh, Oct 23, 2006
  7. cdosys needs an smtp server to connect to. This really is the wrong
    approach though. I promise.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 23, 2006
  8. RedMoosh

    RedMoosh Guest

    thanks for your concern. but what would be the correct approach?
    do you know

    RedMoosh, Oct 23, 2006
  9. Yes, using your server to send the e-mails would be the correct approach.
    Give the person a simple file-upload interface, and then let the server
    handle the e-mailing after accepting the uploads. If you're worried about
    the time that it will take to process the e-mails and you don't want your
    user waiting for confirmation, you could response.flush out a "thanks,
    finished" message, and let the script continue. Or, do it in .Net and start
    a separate thread to handle it.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 24, 2006
  10. RedMoosh

    RedMoosh Guest

    Sorry Ray. my message had been cut off. i did not mean to write "do you
    know?" it had more to it but was earased.

    thanks
    i am reviewing my choices with my team members to see what they want to do.

    RedMoosh, Oct 24, 2006