Creating Calendars for a Web Archive Help Request

Discussion in 'HTML' started by RC Gray, Dec 27, 2011.

  1. RC Gray

    RC Gray Guest

    Hi all.

    I'm still new to HTML/CSS. So I apologize if my terminology is not
    correct. Right now I'm working on an online comic strip to force myself
    to learn the basics on web design (using Dreamweaver CS 4). The
    strip itself is not online yet due to working on creating the archive.
    The layout is pretty simple, all DIV's on top of the other. There's a
    wrapper which contains the following: a DIV for the banner, links, the
    body content, and the footer.

    Everything's going fairly well, except for the archive page for previous
    comics. The idea I have so far is to have monthly calendars, three
    across with a header for each year.

    For example:

    2012
    January

    2011
    October November December

    At first, I tried using tables for the calendars, but all I could seem
    to do is put one on top of the previous calendar, rather than next to
    it. Then I tried using individual DIV's within the body content DIV for
    each calendar, but when I went to the second row of three across, it
    pushes the previous three months from the body content into a section
    above the footer where the body content CSS doesn't seem to apply. I've
    tried to get the body content DIV to have an auto height so that the
    body content expands with each new DIV calendar, but so far, it's just
    not working.

    Alternatively, I was thinking of foregoing DIV's for each month and
    going back to tables. I'm trying out the idea of creating a three column
    table, and within each column, putting a new table containing the
    calendars. So my question is, does this sound viable, or should I go
    back to the individual DIV's? And if so, what would you recommend to
    keep the DIV's within the body content? I entered in auto for the height
    for the body content DIV, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

    I've stayed away from Javascript at this point because I'm just not
    familiar enough with it at this point, and would like to try it through
    HTML/CSS

    Like I said, I'm still new at this and am figuring out the terminology,
    so I hope that I've explained the issue well enough short of inundating
    you with the code.

    Ross
    RC Gray, Dec 27, 2011

  2. RC Gray

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9FC7CBDEFE6A1lurker@69.16.185.250>,
    RC Gray <> wrote:

    > Right now I'm working on an online comic strip ... ...
    > The layout is pretty simple, all DIV's on top of the other. There's a
    > wrapper which contains the following: a DIV for the banner, links, the
    > body content, and the footer.

    Reasonable enough under some circumstances. But if each comic
    strip is just one image, then stacking the images one on top of
    the other, assigning margins, is less markup, no need for too
    many DIVS.

    > Everything's going fairly well, except for the archive page for previous
    > comics. The idea I have so far is to have monthly calendars, three
    > across with a header for each year.
    >
    > For example:
    >
    > 2012
    > January
    >
    > 2011
    > October November December

    Too hard for me to imagine quite what you are doing from all your
    words. Or should I say, too easy to think up too many things you
    might be wanting. Can you simplify or provide some text URL that
    illustrates or even pictures what you want?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 27, 2011

  3. RC Gray <> wrote

    > Like I said, I'm still new at this and am figuring out the terminology,
    > so I hope that I've explained the issue well enough short of inundating
    > you with the code.

    As others have said, we need a URL. If you don't have a URL, then check
    with your ISP, many will give you free space to upload something.
    Otherwise, check with one of the free hosting companies.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services - http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info/
    Adrienne Boswell, Dec 27, 2011
  4. RC Gray

    RC Gray Guest

    Since the gist is to post it online for feedback, I'll get on that.
    Thanks all for the input. It's much appreciated.
    RC Gray, Dec 28, 2011