Creating clean, retrievable XML output

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by stjulian, Jul 18, 2005.

  1. stjulian

    stjulian Guest

    I would like to get a roadmap on learning from you folks. I need to learn
    how to take an SQL view of data that I have and allow it's data to be
    retrieved as an XML document in IIS.

    I know how to create queries and views. I use Data Transformation Services
    frequently (there isn't an XML document type in the OUTPUT options that I
    can see) and, I actually get the concept of XML AUTO (for those who do not
    know, this does a quick and dirty formatting of data in XML hierarchy), but
    yet I do not know how to take these XML results and write them to a file,
    allow it to retrieved (ONLY retrieved, not write back) from IIS as an XML
    document type.

    I can't imagine that I have to make IIS write all the little carriage
    returns XML tags.

    Maybe I don't need a file, does "XML support in IIS" create these kind of
    documents on-the-fly.

    Do you know of a resource (or a good book) to look at? You gotta learn
    somehow.

    Desparate and Serious
    Julian
    stjulian, Jul 18, 2005

  2. Have you been to http://www.sqlxml.org/ ?

    There is an add-on to SQL Server 2000 that will allow you to request XML
    documents from SQL Server via HTTP.

    Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP], Jul 18, 2005

  3. stjulian

    stjulian Guest

    Thank you.
    What is the name of this add-on?

    stjulian, Jul 18, 2005
  4. SQLXML.

    msdn.microsoft.com/SQL/sqlreldata/XML/default.aspx (scroll down)

    msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnanchor/html/anch_sqlxml.asp

    microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=51d4a154-8e23-47d2-a033-764259cfb53b

    microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ca1cc72b-6390-4260-b208-2058c0bfd7de

    Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP], Jul 19, 2005