creating graphs in javascript/etc

रवींदर ठाकà¥à¤° (ravinder thakur

hello friends

i am trying to dynamically create graphs in browsers(as in graph
theory, something like this http://sawamuland.com/flash/graph.html ,
not like excel graphs) but i am unable to find any starting point.

are there some tutorials/libraries to do the same ? i am ok to develop
these in javascript/xhtml/flash/etc as long as this can be done
dynamically.

thanks a lot
ravinder thakur

VK

hello friends

i am trying to dynamically create graphs in browsers(as in graph
theory, something like thishttp://sawamuland.com/flash/graph.html,
not like excel graphs) but i am unable to find any starting point.

are there some tutorials/libraries to do the same ? i am ok to develop
these in javascript/xhtml/flash/etc as long as this can be done
dynamically.

With my Superimposed Vector Language (SVL) still being under a non-
disclosure copyright sell deal I may only point to the open source SVG-
VML-3D library by Lutz Tautenhahn which was the inspiration solution
for SVL:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070623080720/http://www.lutanho.net/svgvml3d/index.html
Unfortunately the author's site seems to be down by now.

It is not the only way of course, but the unifying interface library
over SVG and VML does seem to me the only serious approach. The baby
toys with pixel-size colored DIVs and stuff are plain funny by now.

VK

With my Superimposed Vector Language (SVL) still being under a non-
disclosure copyright sell deal I may only point to the open source SVG-
VML-3D library by Lutz Tautenhahn which was the inspiration solution
for SVL: http://web.archive.org/web/20070623080720/http://www.lutanho.net/svgvml3d/index.html
Unfortunately the author's site seems to be down by now.

Just in case to make it totally clear: I didn't use a single chunk of
Tautenhahn's code in SVL. It was as I said an inspiration solution: I
realized _what_ can be done with VML and SVG combined and that it
_can_ be done.

OT P.S. The blocking part remained the necessity to have the original
HTML code delivered with IE-specific namespace tags in it
(Tautenhahn's solution as well as say Google Maps just live with it).
After I had found by pure occasion, while searching a completely
different info, IE's document.namespaces.add method then the rest of
the puzzle came together. It remained the matter of many hours and
days to write the framework interface over both vector formats.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

रवींदर ठाकà¥à¤° (ravinder thakur) said:
i am trying to dynamically create graphs in browsers(as in graph
theory, something like this http://sawamuland.com/flash/graph.html ,
not like excel graphs) but i am unable to find any starting point.

are there some tutorials/libraries to do the same ? i am ok to develop
these in javascript/xhtml/flash/etc as long as this can be done
dynamically.

Since this is about graphs, (X)HTML and JavaScript (alone) are not what you
are looking for: (X)HTML is the (Extensible) Hyper*Text* markup language,
and ECMAScript implementations like JavaScript require an external API to be
useful. Although one could devise (or copypaste) a dirty, inefficient,
resource-consuming hack to draw arbitrary edges and vertices with positioned
block elements, the HTML DOM API is not suited to do what you want.

Instead, standalone or embedded SVG, Flash, and Java are probably the way to
go. SVG and Flash can be scripted with ECMAScript implementations; SVG with
JIT-compiled scripts, Flash with (probably) once-compiled ActionScript in an
..swf movie. As for Java, AFAIK the Java API already provides the necessary
graphic-related classes by itself to draw on the canvas of an applet or an
application window, and to handle pointing devices.

HTH

PointedEars