creating interface with c++

Discussion in 'C++' started by FC, Apr 3, 2005.

  1. FC

    FC Guest

    Hi all:
    I am a Computer Engineering student, as part of my curriculum I have
    taken quite a few programming classes. Most of them were given in C++. I
    am almost done with my studies and I have yet to see a course where they
    teach how to create an application that uses a GUI. By this I mean a
    window that has menus like the usual file, edit, view, etc. I know that
    can be done using C++ in conjunction with other technologies such as
    ASP, ADO, and .NET. I also know that there are C++ programs that
    interact with databases (Oracle, MSAccess, MySQL, etc). My question to
    you guys/gals is: Where do I find the info to learn more about this
    stuff? I would like to purchase a book. Assuming I am a fairly
    proficient C++ programmer, what book would you recommend in order for me
    to learn how to create an application that uses these technologies?
    Please advise.

    Best regards,

    FC

    PS: I hope I am not off topic.
    FC, Apr 3, 2005

  2. FC wrote:
    > I am a Computer Engineering student, as part of my curriculum I have
    > taken quite a few programming classes. Most of them were given in
    > C++. I am almost done with my studies and I have yet to see a course
    > where they teach how to create an application that uses a GUI. By
    > this I mean a window that has menus like the usual file, edit, view,
    > etc. I know that can be done using C++ in conjunction with other
    > technologies such as ASP, ADO, and .NET. I also know that there are
    > C++ programs that interact with databases (Oracle, MSAccess, MySQL,
    > etc). My question to you guys/gals is: Where do I find the info to
    > learn more about this stuff? I would like to purchase a book.
    > Assuming I am a fairly proficient C++ programmer, what book would you
    > recommend in order for me to learn how to create an application that
    > uses these technologies? Please advise.

    There are many books that deal with Windows programming (I assume you
    mean Windows since you mentioned ADO, MSAcces, and .NET). You are
    hence strongly urged to ask about books that help with that in a forum
    dedicated to Windows programming. See comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.*
    or microsoft.public.dotnet.*.

    Victor Bazarov, Apr 3, 2005

  3. FC

    osmium Guest

    "FC" writes:

    > I am a Computer Engineering student, as part of my curriculum I have taken
    > quite a few programming classes. Most of them were given in C++. I am
    > almost done with my studies and I have yet to see a course where they
    > teach how to create an application that uses a GUI. By this I mean a
    > window that has menus like the usual file, edit, view, etc. I know that
    > can be done using C++ in conjunction with other technologies such as ASP,
    > ADO, and .NET. I also know that there are C++ programs that interact with
    > databases (Oracle, MSAccess, MySQL, etc). My question to you guys/gals is:
    > Where do I find the info to learn more about this stuff? I would like to
    > purchase a book. Assuming I am a fairly proficient C++ programmer, what
    > book would you recommend in order for me to learn how to create an
    > application that uses these technologies? Please advise.

    _Programming Windows_ by Charles Petzold is pretty munch regarded as the
    bible for the Windows GUI.
    osmium, Apr 3, 2005
  4. FC

    Phlip Guest

    FC wrote:

    > I am a Computer Engineering student, as part of my curriculum I have
    > taken quite a few programming classes. Most of them were given in C++. I
    > am almost done with my studies and I have yet to see a course where they
    > teach how to create an application that uses a GUI.

    That's because C++ itself is best understood as a portable solution for hard
    logical problems. All GUIs are platform-specific by nature, and learning to
    use one compares to learning raw C++ essentially as driving a car compares
    to rebuilding its engine.

    > By this I mean a
    > window that has menus like the usual file, edit, view, etc. I know that
    > can be done using C++ in conjunction with other technologies such as
    > ASP, ADO, and .NET.

    Oooookay. Firstly, all those are MS-specific. That means a better sentence
    with "other technologies such as" would go "Win32 SDK, Qt, Gtk+..." etc. The
    sentence should cover the full breadth of the industry.

    ASP is a ticklish HTML generating system, ADO is a data layer, and .NET is a
    platform - a complete set of modules that provide complete services for
    programs to use.

    www.google.com

    > I would like to purchase a book. Assuming I am a fairly
    > proficient C++ programmer, what book would you recommend in order for me
    > to learn how to create an application that uses these technologies?

    The crisis here is between the generic and specific. If you ask for modern
    Win32 textbooks, walk into the nearest large bookstore and look for books on
    VC++. They will cover various ways to program "windows", including MFC and
    ATL. The best way is WTL, but that might not have a book yet.

    > PS: I hope I am not off topic.

    The questions "how to use C++ to...?" and "what's the best [generally
    portable] library to...?" are on topic. The point of topicality is to entice
    C++ generalists to work this newsgroup and give you the best answer.
    Specific questions about the answers to these questions are best served in
    their own respective forums, which might not be so impartial.

    Assuming you don't want to run Linux, GNU, Gnome, KDE, Qt, or Tk, use
    http://groups.google.com to find a microsoft-specific newsgroup that covers
    these questions.

    --
    Phlip
    Phlip, Apr 3, 2005
  5. FC wrote:

    > Hi all:
    > I am a Computer Engineering student, as part of my curriculum I have
    > taken quite a few programming classes. Most of them were given in C++. I
    > am almost done with my studies and I have yet to see a course where they
    > teach how to create an application that uses a GUI. By this I mean a
    > window that has menus like the usual file, edit, view, etc. I know that
    > can be done using C++ in conjunction with other technologies such as
    > ASP, ADO, and .NET. I also know that there are C++ programs that
    > interact with databases (Oracle, MSAccess, MySQL, etc). My question to
    > you guys/gals is: Where do I find the info to learn more about this
    > stuff? I would like to purchase a book. Assuming I am a fairly
    > proficient C++ programmer, what book would you recommend in order for me
    > to learn how to create an application that uses these technologies?
    > Please advise.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > FC
    >
    > PS: I hope I am not off topic.

    For VC++ 2003, a nice beginner to intermediate level book that you can read, and covers
    all .NET facilities, including multithreading, is "Visual C++ .NET How To Program" by Deitel.

    http://vig.prenhall.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0134373774,00.html

    --
    Ioannis Vranos

    http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys
    Ioannis Vranos, Apr 3, 2005
  6. Ioannis Vranos wrote:

    > For VC++ 2003, a nice beginner to intermediate level book that you can
    > read, and covers all .NET facilities, including multithreading, is
    > "Visual C++ .NET How To Program" by Deitel.
    >

    > http://vig.prenhall.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0134373774,00.html

    Also I want to suggest you, not losing time learning the legacy Windows stuff like Win32,
    MFC, etc. .NET is becoming the main platform now, and with the release of Longhorn in 2006
    it becomes the main Windows API (WinFX). All recent releases of Windows APIs are all using
    ..NET (e.g. DirectX 9.0 is managed and not native, and requires .NET).

    Recent releases of ADO etc are parts of .NET, now this one is called "ADO .NET" for example.

    Ioannis Vranos, Apr 3, 2005
  7. FC

    Brooke Guest

    How is Win32 legacy code? .NET is still built on top of the Win32 API and
    calls it behind the scenes. I stopped programming with .net as I still had
    to make many Win32 calls as .net didn't have the functionality that I
    needed.

    Brooke, Apr 3, 2005
  8. FC wrote:

    > Hi all:
    > I am a Computer Engineering student, as part of my curriculum I have
    > taken quite a few programming classes. Most of them were given in C++. I
    > am almost done with my studies and I have yet to see a course where they
    > teach how to create an application that uses a GUI. By this I mean a
    > window that has menus like the usual file, edit, view, etc. I know that
    > can be done using C++ in conjunction with other technologies such as
    > ASP, ADO, and .NET. I also know that there are C++ programs that
    > interact with databases (Oracle, MSAccess, MySQL, etc). My question to
    > you guys/gals is: Where do I find the info to learn more about this
    > stuff? I would like to purchase a book. Assuming I am a fairly
    > proficient C++ programmer, what book would you recommend in order for me
    > to learn how to create an application that uses these technologies?
    > Please advise.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > FC
    >
    > PS: I hope I am not off topic.

    Hi
    I think that the most simple and best way, on win32, is WTL, but there
    aren't books. You can look for a guide, or tutorial, here:
    http://www.codeproject.com/wtl/
    http://www.endurasoft.com/vcd/mfcwtl.htm
    http://codeworks.gnomedia.com/wtl.php

    For download WTL:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/wtl/
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...52-AA96-4685-99A5-4256737781C5&displaylang=en

    But when we speak about WTL, we do not have to forget ATL (ATL is very
    complex because was created for developing COM applications, but you are
    interested only the windowing part):
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvc60/html/atlwindow.asp

    Another way is gtkmm for linux and win32:
    www.gtkmm.org

    Best regards

    Daniele
    GattoDiGrondaia, Apr 5, 2005