creating interface with c++

FC

Hi all:
I am a Computer Engineering student, as part of my curriculum I have
taken quite a few programming classes. Most of them were given in C++. I
am almost done with my studies and I have yet to see a course where they
teach how to create an application that uses a GUI. By this I mean a
window that has menus like the usual file, edit, view, etc. I know that
can be done using C++ in conjunction with other technologies such as
ASP, ADO, and .NET. I also know that there are C++ programs that
interact with databases (Oracle, MSAccess, MySQL, etc). My question to
you guys/gals is: Where do I find the info to learn more about this
stuff? I would like to purchase a book. Assuming I am a fairly
proficient C++ programmer, what book would you recommend in order for me
to learn how to create an application that uses these technologies?
Please advise.

Best regards,

FC

PS: I hope I am not off topic.

Victor Bazarov

FC said:
I am a Computer Engineering student, as part of my curriculum I have
taken quite a few programming classes. Most of them were given in
C++. I am almost done with my studies and I have yet to see a course
where they teach how to create an application that uses a GUI. By
this I mean a window that has menus like the usual file, edit, view,
etc. I know that can be done using C++ in conjunction with other
technologies such as ASP, ADO, and .NET. I also know that there are
C++ programs that interact with databases (Oracle, MSAccess, MySQL,
etc). My question to you guys/gals is: Where do I find the info to
learn more about this stuff? I would like to purchase a book.
Assuming I am a fairly proficient C++ programmer, what book would you
recommend in order for me to learn how to create an application that
uses these technologies? Please advise.

There are many books that deal with Windows programming (I assume you
mean Windows since you mentioned ADO, MSAcces, and .NET). You are
hence strongly urged to ask about books that help with that in a forum
dedicated to Windows programming. See comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.*
or microsoft.public.dotnet.*.

osmium

FC said:
I am a Computer Engineering student, as part of my curriculum I have taken
quite a few programming classes. Most of them were given in C++. I am
almost done with my studies and I have yet to see a course where they
teach how to create an application that uses a GUI. By this I mean a
window that has menus like the usual file, edit, view, etc. I know that
can be done using C++ in conjunction with other technologies such as ASP,
ADO, and .NET. I also know that there are C++ programs that interact with
databases (Oracle, MSAccess, MySQL, etc). My question to you guys/gals is:
Where do I find the info to learn more about this stuff? I would like to
purchase a book. Assuming I am a fairly proficient C++ programmer, what
book would you recommend in order for me to learn how to create an
application that uses these technologies? Please advise.

_Programming Windows_ by Charles Petzold is pretty munch regarded as the
bible for the Windows GUI.

Phlip

FC said:
I am a Computer Engineering student, as part of my curriculum I have
taken quite a few programming classes. Most of them were given in C++. I
am almost done with my studies and I have yet to see a course where they
teach how to create an application that uses a GUI.

That's because C++ itself is best understood as a portable solution for hard
logical problems. All GUIs are platform-specific by nature, and learning to
use one compares to learning raw C++ essentially as driving a car compares
to rebuilding its engine.
By this I mean a
window that has menus like the usual file, edit, view, etc. I know that
can be done using C++ in conjunction with other technologies such as
ASP, ADO, and .NET.

Oooookay. Firstly, all those are MS-specific. That means a better sentence
with "other technologies such as" would go "Win32 SDK, Qt, Gtk+..." etc. The
sentence should cover the full breadth of the industry.

ASP is a ticklish HTML generating system, ADO is a data layer, and .NET is a
platform - a complete set of modules that provide complete services for
programs to use.
www.google.com

I would like to purchase a book. Assuming I am a fairly
proficient C++ programmer, what book would you recommend in order for me
to learn how to create an application that uses these technologies?

The crisis here is between the generic and specific. If you ask for modern
Win32 textbooks, walk into the nearest large bookstore and look for books on
VC++. They will cover various ways to program "windows", including MFC and
ATL. The best way is WTL, but that might not have a book yet.
PS: I hope I am not off topic.

The questions "how to use C++ to...?" and "what's the best [generally
portable] library to...?" are on topic. The point of topicality is to entice
C++ generalists to work this newsgroup and give you the best answer.
Specific questions about the answers to these questions are best served in
their own respective forums, which might not be so impartial.

Assuming you don't want to run Linux, GNU, Gnome, KDE, Qt, or Tk, use
http://groups.google.com to find a microsoft-specific newsgroup that covers
these questions.

Ioannis Vranos

FC said:
[...]

For VC++ 2003, a nice beginner to intermediate level book that you can read, and covers
all .NET facilities, including multithreading, is "Visual C++ .NET How To Program" by Deitel.

http://vig.prenhall.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0134373774,00.html

Ioannis Vranos

Ioannis said:
For VC++ 2003, a nice beginner to intermediate level book that you can
read, and covers all .NET facilities, including multithreading, is
"Visual C++ .NET How To Program" by Deitel.

http://vig.prenhall.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0134373774,00.html

Also I want to suggest you, not losing time learning the legacy Windows stuff like Win32,
MFC, etc. .NET is becoming the main platform now, and with the release of Longhorn in 2006
it becomes the main Windows API (WinFX). All recent releases of Windows APIs are all using
..NET (e.g. DirectX 9.0 is managed and not native, and requires .NET).

Recent releases of ADO etc are parts of .NET, now this one is called "ADO .NET" for example.

Brooke

How is Win32 legacy code? .NET is still built on top of the Win32 API and
calls it behind the scenes. I stopped programming with .net as I still had
to make many Win32 calls as .net didn't have the functionality that I
needed.

GattoDiGrondaia

FC said:
[...]

Hi
I think that the most simple and best way, on win32, is WTL, but there
aren't books. You can look for a guide, or tutorial, here:
http://www.codeproject.com/wtl/
http://www.endurasoft.com/vcd/mfcwtl.htm
http://codeworks.gnomedia.com/wtl.php

For download WTL:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wtl/
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...52-AA96-4685-99A5-4256737781C5&displaylang=en

But when we speak about WTL, we do not have to forget ATL (ATL is very
complex because was created for developing COM applications, but you are
interested only the windowing part):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvc60/html/atlwindow.asp

Another way is gtkmm for linux and win32:
www.gtkmm.org

Best regards

Daniele