    going (preferably vs2003, but I have VID also)

    Thanks so much

    Brian Ackermann

    brian.ackermann, Apr 4, 2007

  2. brian.ackermann

    Evertjan. Guest

    brian.ackermann wrote on 04 apr 2007 in

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm running into some trouble figuring out how to create a 'project'
    > from an existing asp application.
    >
    > The ASP app was written entirely with plain text editors. I would
    > like to set up debugging for it, but it seems that in order to debug,
    > I must have a 'project'.

    No. Debugging should be in essence a manual and conseptual tast.

    First yopu sgould knoew what the code should do.

    Then test what fails.

    Then insert brakpoints where you suspect that origins of the errors an
    be:

    response.write "breakpoint 1: value: " & supiciousValuedVariable
    response.end

    remarking them as you go on:

    'response.write "breakpoint 2: value: " & OtherSupiciousValuedVariable
    'response.end

    > I cannot figure out how one might go about this task. The project is
    > rather large (180K lines, and a few hundred files in many different
    > sub-dirs), and I have been playing & researching for about 4 hours
    > now, and I can't figure it out.

    4 hours is nothing. Think months.

    Somtimes, if the code is badly written, it pays off to rebuild from
    scratch.

    > Can anyone make a suggestion as to what I must do to get something
    > going (preferably vs2003, but I have VID also)

    Bad choices if you use tham for debugging code you do not understand.

    I do not think those will speed you up, unless you are proficient in the
    above debugging by hand.

    Undoubtedly others will queue up to prove me wrong ;-)

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Apr 4, 2007

  3. "brian.ackermann" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm running into some trouble figuring out how to create a 'project'
    > from an existing asp application.
    >
    > The ASP app was written entirely with plain text editors. I would
    > like to set up debugging for it, but it seems that in order to debug,
    > I must have a 'project'.

    A project is not required.

    All that is needed is debugging enviroment such Script Debugger or vs2003 on
    the server where the ASP runs and enable debugging in the application
    configuration.

    To place break points just enter the Stop keyword (or debugger if you using
    JScript) in the ASP file.

    Of course you wouldn't want to do this in a production environment.

    > I cannot figure out how one might go about this task. The project is
    > rather large (180K lines, and a few hundred files in many different
    > sub-dirs), and I have been playing & researching for about 4 hours
    > now, and I can't figure it out.
    >
    > Can anyone make a suggestion as to what I must do to get something
    > going (preferably vs2003, but I have VID also)

    Both require considerable trial and error to set up (esp if your app is the
    root of a site).
    If all you want to do is debug don't bother.

    Anthony Jones, Apr 5, 2007