creating proxy client via .wsdl file

jv

I have a simple web service(service1.asmx). I browse the wsdl via?wsdl
option. Then I save the wsdl to a txt file with wsdl
extension(service1.wsdl).
If I do add web reference and point to this wsdl file, i get the
following error:Invalid at the top level of the document. Error
processing resource 'file:///C:/temp/Service1.wsdl'. Line 1, Position
42

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
I know this used to work before.
Could anybody please help?