creating .pyo with make

Yann Leboulanger

Hi,

I use autoconf / automake to manage my python project, and I'l like make
/ make install to create / install .pyo files instead of .py files.

Is there something I should add to my Makefile.am files to do that? Or
should I do all that myself with py_compile module?

Are there some examples somewhere with autotools?

Thanks for your help

Yann Leboulanger

Yann said:
Hi,

I use autoconf / automake to manage my python project, and I'l like make
/ make install to create / install .pyo files instead of .py files.

Is there something I should add to my Makefile.am files to do that? Or
should I do all that myself with py_compile module?

Are there some examples somewhere with autotools?

Thanks for your help

Hehe replying to myself. It seems I just have to replace
project_DATA = $(srcdir)/*.py
by
project_PYTHON = $(srcdir)/*.py

Then when I do make install, it installs .py, .pyc and .pyo.
Would it be possible to install only .pyo? Is it a good idea?

Diez B. Roggisch

Yann said:
Hehe replying to myself. It seems I just have to replace
project_DATA = $(srcdir)/*.py
by
project_PYTHON = $(srcdir)/*.py

Then when I do make install, it installs .py, .pyc and .pyo.
Would it be possible to install only .pyo? Is it a good idea?

There might be the occasional code that relies on doc-strings to work -
seldomly, but possible. Which are obmitted by .pyo, but not of pyc.

Apart from that, having only pyc-files (or pyo for that matter) sucks.
Just today I had to delve into a ZOPE-application, setting breakpoints
and getting things done. It would have been impossible or at least much
more inconvenient to debug if I hadn't had the sources available (and
put at a place where they actually get invoked from the interpreter, not
lying around unrelated)

Diez

Yann Leboulanger

Diez said:
There might be the occasional code that relies on doc-strings to work -
seldomly, but possible. Which are obmitted by .pyo, but not of pyc.

Apart from that, having only pyc-files (or pyo for that matter) sucks.
Just today I had to delve into a ZOPE-application, setting breakpoints
and getting things done. It would have been impossible or at least much
more inconvenient to debug if I hadn't had the sources available (and
put at a place where they actually get invoked from the interpreter, not
lying around unrelated)

Diez

Source are available i ntarballs, but when I do make install I don't
care to install .py files. .pyo are enough to run the application.

Diez B. Roggisch

Yann said:
Source are available i ntarballs, but when I do make install I don't
care to install .py files. .pyo are enough to run the application.

As I said - not installing them will make debugging for someone who
knows how to deal with it just more inconvenient. And if you plan to
release the code anyway - don't bother separating pyc/pyo from the py.

Diez

Yann Leboulanger

Diez said:
As I said - not installing them will make debugging for someone who
knows how to deal with it just more inconvenient. And if you plan to
release the code anyway - don't bother separating pyc/pyo from the py.

That's a point of view I understand, but some prefer smaller
installation size. Now it installs .py, .pyc, and .pyo, so 3 times bigger.