Creating Reports with custom objects

Guest

Hi all,

We have a N-Tier framework and we now create a Web Site App to wotk with
this architecture.

I add reference from my libraries in the project and creating page and
controls is very easy, using my objects. But, it's seem that I cannot create
report using Crystal Report with my objects. I created classes in the
app_Code folder and yes, I can use them but, it's not the way I eant to do
it. I want to use my classes from my dlls.

Is it possible or not ? Or, is there a third party reporting control who can
use custom objects ?

Tks for your answer.

sloan

A. Switch to ActiveReports, they support IList's.

B. There is a blog entry about this, but I can't find the link.
Basically, the person took his custom collection (of custom business
objects), created a strong dataset, and then looped over the custom
collection, and threw records into the dataset.
This is called the "push" model for Crystal Reports.

EmployeeDS ds = new EmployeeDS();

foreach (Employee e in empCollection)
{

ds.Employee.AddNewEmployeeRow( 123, "Smith", "John");

}

something like that. then you build the CR against the ADO.Net DataSet OR
against the XSD schema.
Yeah, good times.

Good luck. I hate Crystal Reports.

Guest

Tks buddy,

I'm a bit frustrated about CR... I don't understand why they do not support
custom objects from other libraries...

And, I hate working with dataset when I don't really need them so... I think
we would buy Active Reports.

Thanks for the cue.

sloan

Since this is a webapp, you may need to investigate what it takes to show AR
in a browser.

I do web development, but I've used AR only in a winforms application (in
the past).

So I don't know about that exact caveat. AR in the Web.

But I still hate CR. Ever since VB4 days.