    Must I use gridview? Generating <table> and <tr> is the best solution?

    Using asp.net C# 2.0

    Thanks

    Paulo, Oct 8, 2007

  2. Paulo

    Guest

    On Oct 8, 7:15 pm, "Paulo" <> wrote:
    > Hi, how can I create web reports? I need to create grouping, subtotals,
    > totals, etc...
    >
    > Must I use gridview? Generating <table> and <tr> is the best solution?
    >
    > Using asp.net C# 2.0
    >
    > Thanks

    hi

    use crystal reports.

    , Oct 8, 2007

  3. Paulo

    sloan Guest

    Asking "how should I generate reports?" is kinda like asking
    "What kind of car should I buy?"

    There are several different ways to do it.

    Homegrown ( asp:repeater , asp:gridview) (as you've alluded to)
    Crystal Reports
    Active Reports
    Sql Server Reporting

    You do NOT want to generate <table><tr> statements.

    I'm gonna suggest this article:
    http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/CreatingCrystalReports.asp

    with emphasis on "WITH A DATASET".

    A (strong) dataset is kind of a mini-setup of you database.
    You might have 100 tables in your database, but if you need a report of
    Employees and which Department they are in, you only need to deal with 2 or
    3 tables to make this report.
    Employee (database table) and Department (database table) and maybe a
    EmployeeDepartmentLink (database table)(if Employees are in more than 1
    department).
    The dataset would also (and only) have these 2/3 tables in it.
    Then you create some kind of select (or stored procedure) method to populate
    the dataset.

    THEN (and only after you get the data you need in the dataset) you open
    Crystal Reports (CR) and start working with the data, as the URL/Link I gave
    you shows.

    ActiveReports is like CrystalReports, but you have to buy/pay for it.
    But I prefer AR over CR.
    (like some people prefer Chevrolet over Ford).

    But that'll get you going.

    sloan, Oct 8, 2007
  4. Paulo

    Paulo Guest

    Any articles? documentation? how tos?

    help...

    Thanks!

    <> escreveu na mensagem

    Paulo, Oct 8, 2007
  5. Paulo

    sloan Guest

    This explains it a little better.

    http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/crystal_report.asp

    You def want to go with the PUSH method.

    PULL will get you into trouble fast. PULL is very non-maintainable, and if
    you ever want to switch to something besides CR, PULL will screw you.

    sloan, Oct 8, 2007
  6. Paulo

    Paulo Guest

    Thanks the reply...

    What is the ActiveReports link ?

    Is possible to create a filter (combo-box, edit, checkbox, etc...) on web
    page and pass the values to the report?

    Thanks man !

    Paulo, Oct 8, 2007
  7. Paulo

    sloan Guest

    http://www.datadynamics.com/Products/ProductOverview.aspx?Product=ARNET3

    Create a page
    FilterPage.aspx

    Collect your parameters here.
    For ex: populate a drop down list with DepartmentID's and DeptNames.
    Pick a Dept.

    Then you'll populate the (strong) DataSet, using the DeptID as a param.
    (That's up to you.. you gotta write code to populate a DataSet with the
    Employees from a certain dept).

    THen this dataset will have the employees (from a certain dept).

    You then use the PUSH method, to show the report (see the KB).

    Create a page called
    ShowData.aspx
    This will use the parameters from FilterPage.aspx, and populate the DataSet.
    ShowData.aspx will probably have a CR control on it.

    Remember, the dataset will already .. and only.. .have employees from a
    certain dept.
    So the report only shows whats in the dataset already.

    Good luck. You have the tools now, you gotta go make it happen.

    sloan, Oct 8, 2007
  8. Paulo

    Paulo Guest

    Hi sloan, thanks!

    So you recommends me using the PUSH method, the only thing I have to do is
    use the same name for the columns defined on the CR designer on the
    dataset... once created a rpt file I have to fill the data using the
    dataset... Am I right?

    Thanks man!

    Paulo, Oct 8, 2007
  9. Paulo

    Paulo Guest

    sloan, how can I pass the connectionString from web.config to the report?

    Thanks!

    Paulo, Oct 8, 2007