Creating reports?

Paulo

Hi, how can I create web reports? I need to create grouping, subtotals,
totals, etc...

Must I use gridview? Generating <table> and <tr> is the best solution?

Using asp.net C# 2.0

Thanks

arti_kapila

Hi, how can I create web reports? I need to create grouping, subtotals,
totals, etc...

Must I use gridview? Generating <table> and <tr> is the best solution?

Using asp.net C# 2.0

Thanks

hi

use crystal reports.

sloan

Asking "how should I generate reports?" is kinda like asking
"What kind of car should I buy?"

There are several different ways to do it.

Homegrown ( asp:repeater , asp:gridview) (as you've alluded to)
Crystal Reports
Active Reports
Sql Server Reporting

You do NOT want to generate <table><tr> statements.

I'm gonna suggest this article:
http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/CreatingCrystalReports.asp

with emphasis on "WITH A DATASET".

A (strong) dataset is kind of a mini-setup of you database.
You might have 100 tables in your database, but if you need a report of
Employees and which Department they are in, you only need to deal with 2 or
3 tables to make this report.
Employee (database table) and Department (database table) and maybe a
EmployeeDepartmentLink (database table)(if Employees are in more than 1
department).
The dataset would also (and only) have these 2/3 tables in it.
Then you create some kind of select (or stored procedure) method to populate
the dataset.

THEN (and only after you get the data you need in the dataset) you open
Crystal Reports (CR) and start working with the data, as the URL/Link I gave
you shows.

ActiveReports is like CrystalReports, but you have to buy/pay for it.
But I prefer AR over CR.
(like some people prefer Chevrolet over Ford).

But that'll get you going.

Paulo

Thanks the reply...

What is the ActiveReports link ?

Is possible to create a filter (combo-box, edit, checkbox, etc...) on web
page and pass the values to the report?

Thanks man !

sloan

http://www.datadynamics.com/Products/ProductOverview.aspx?Product=ARNET3

Create a page
FilterPage.aspx

Collect your parameters here.
For ex: populate a drop down list with DepartmentID's and DeptNames.
Pick a Dept.

Then you'll populate the (strong) DataSet, using the DeptID as a param.
(That's up to you.. you gotta write code to populate a DataSet with the
Employees from a certain dept).

THen this dataset will have the employees (from a certain dept).

You then use the PUSH method, to show the report (see the KB).

Create a page called
ShowData.aspx
This will use the parameters from FilterPage.aspx, and populate the DataSet.
ShowData.aspx will probably have a CR control on it.

Remember, the dataset will already .. and only.. .have employees from a
certain dept.
So the report only shows whats in the dataset already.

Good luck. You have the tools now, you gotta go make it happen.

Paulo

Hi sloan, thanks!

So you recommends me using the PUSH method, the only thing I have to do is
use the same name for the columns defined on the CR designer on the
dataset... once created a rpt file I have to fill the data using the
dataset... Am I right?

Thanks man!

Paulo

sloan, how can I pass the connectionString from web.config to the report?

Thanks!