Creating search engine in Python Good or Bad [in performance]

Clement

I am now creating IR engine in python which has its own database
implementation . For nearly 2GB files it works fast. Can i expect the
same speed when my database goes large. Else i have to chose other
language[c/c++] for the speed.............
Please tell me the solution................................

Larry Bates

Clement said:
I am now creating IR engine in python which has its own database
implementation . For nearly 2GB files it works fast. Can i expect the
same speed when my database goes large. Else i have to chose other
language[c/c++] for the speed.............
Please tell me the solution................................

Your speed will be good if your database design is good. We don't have
a crystal ball out here to see into your database design. It is also
not clear what the bottlenecks to "speed" would be for you. If it is
disk I/O or LAN bandwidth C won't help at all.

-Larry

azrael

That's right. It all depends on your design. When you do a select you
could brute force it to to return the data, but the speed comes from
elegant designing and programing skills. Using C++ or even Better C
would probably boost your database model. Try to sort the data in the
database so you can efficient use Hash-es