Creating self-contained apps

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ed Leafe, May 18, 2004.

  1. Ed Leafe

    Ed Leafe Guest

    Is it possible to create a version of Python, along with several
    specific modules, and somehow package it together to be distributed as
    a single unit? I remember that Zope did something similar in the past,
    but can't recall how that was accomplished. I looked into bdist in
    DistUtils, but couldn't find enough info on it to determine if it would
    do what I want.

    I have an app that requires a specific version of Python, along with
    specific versions of various modules. What I need is a single file that
    I can distribute that will run my packaged version of python, assuring
    that the user, no matter what Linux distro they are using, will be able
    to run it? And while I'm at it, is this also possible in Windows?

    ___/
    /
    __/
    /
    ____/
    Ed Leafe
    http://leafe.com/
    http://dabodev.com/

    Ed Leafe, May 18, 2004

  2. Check cx_Freeze from

    <http://starship.python.net/crew/atuining/cx_Freeze/>

    /Jean Brouwers

    Jean Brouwers, May 18, 2004

  3. Ed Leafe

    Larry Bates Guest

    I do this with py2exe for Windows. I also use InnoSetup to
    create self installation .EXE file for Windows distribution.
    Seems to work quite well.

    HTH,
    Larry Bates
    Syscon, Inc.