Creating Self Extracting Zip using Python

Calvin FONG

Dear all,
Are there any utility that can be call by python to create self
extracting zip file. I'm now using the powerarchiever. But the command
line options aren't flexible enough. Basically, I would like to create a
self extracting zip with default file path extraction and force
over-write. The powerArchiever just don't let me call it unless I'm
using the GUI.
Any idea, experience and suggestion are welcome.
Thank you.
-Calvin

Vincent Wehren

| Dear all,
| Are there any utility that can be call by python to create self
| extracting zip file. I'm now using the powerarchiever. But the command
| line options aren't flexible enough. Basically, I would like to create a
| self extracting zip with default file path extraction and force
| over-write. The powerArchiever just don't let me call it unless I'm
| using the GUI.
| Any idea, experience and suggestion are welcome.
| Thank you.
| -Calvin

I use MakeSfx aka FreeExtractor (http://www.disoriented.com/) drive it with
Python. The command line options is flexible (enough), it's free, and it's
open source...

HTH,

Vincent Wehren

Josiah Carlson

Are there any utility that can be call by python to create self
extracting zip file. I'm now using the powerarchiever. But the command
line options aren't flexible enough. Basically, I would like to create a
self extracting zip with default file path extraction and force
over-write. The powerArchiever just don't let me call it unless I'm
using the GUI.
Any idea, experience and suggestion are welcome.
Thank you.

You are in the wrong newsgroup.

To answer your question, any command-line utility can be called with
os.system.

Pick any command-line utility you want. I prefer Info-zip:
http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/

- Josiah

Calvin FONG

Vincent said:
| Dear all,
| Are there any utility that can be call by python to create self
| extracting zip file. I'm now using the powerarchiever. But the command
| line options aren't flexible enough. Basically, I would like to create a
| self extracting zip with default file path extraction and force
| over-write. The powerArchiever just don't let me call it unless I'm
| using the GUI.
| Any idea, experience and suggestion are welcome.
| Thank you.
| -Calvin

I use MakeSfx aka FreeExtractor (http://www.disoriented.com/) drive it with
Python. The command line options is flexible (enough), it's free, and it's
open source...

HTH,

Vincent Wehren
Thank Vincet, that's a nice open-source warez.
By the way, what does HTH stands for?
-Calvin

Josiah Carlson

Thank Josiah, in fact, which newsgroup should I post

It depends on what operating system you are running on. Perhaps one of
the comp.os.* newsgroups would be more topical, or even comp.compression.

The reason this is not the correct newsgroup is because yours was not a
Python question. A Python question would be something like, "How do I
run external programs from within Python?", which would result in
pointers to os.popen or os.system. On the other hand, reordering your
question to make more sense to english speakers (without losing meaning):
"I am using Powerarchiver. It does not support all of the command-line
options that I desire. Can someone point me to a program that creates
self-extracting archives with better command-line support?"

You'll notice that your question has nothing to do with Python. It is
about zip files and executables.

- Josiah

Josiah Carlson

I know people get their rocks off here patronizing newbies, but how
about pointing them to the tutor list instead?

I don't know if it is patronizing newbies. I think it is more expecting
them to read the documentation that is available via keyword search at
google.

So few people actually spend the time to do /any/ sort of research into
their question, preferring to ask before they try to answer themselves.
95%+ of questions asked here can be answered with a quick browsing of
the tutorial, standard library, or google search. Do we encourage such
things, or should we point out that their questions can be easily
answered with a proper keyword search?

- Josiah

Calvin FONG

Josiah said:
It depends on what operating system you are running on. Perhaps one of
the comp.os.* newsgroups would be more topical, or even comp.compression.

The reason this is not the correct newsgroup is because yours was not a
Python question. A Python question would be something like, "How do I
run external programs from within Python?", which would result in
pointers to os.popen or os.system. On the other hand, reordering your
question to make more sense to english speakers (without losing meaning):
"I am using Powerarchiver. It does not support all of the command-line
options that I desire. Can someone point me to a program that creates
self-extracting archives with better command-line support?"

You'll notice that your question has nothing to do with Python. It is
about zip files and executables.

- Josiah
Thank Josiah,
I get your point.
-calvin

Peter Hansen

DH said:
TANSTASQ

I know people get their rocks off here patronizing newbies, but how
about pointing them to the tutor list instead?

How would that have helped? Does the "tutor list" have a service
for answering questions about what commonly used acronyms mean?
I wasn't aware of that...

By the way, "patronizing" has a primary meaning of "to act as a
patron towards; to support; to aid", so I'll take your comment
as a compliment. (And thank you!)

Also, having checked the meanings of "stupid" that I find on
the web, I would have to say that there *are* stupid
questions. Stupid can be "very dull, insensible" and "resulting
from stupidity; formed without skill or genius". I thought the
question was more lazy or just indicating of inexperience than
stupid, though.

Calvin, is very likely neither stupid nor lazy, but just new,
and he didn't think to use Google. I gave a helpful pointer to
it and, after a few more such incidents occur, he'll likely turn
to it first in the future. (I'm sure we all went through periods
where we didn't think of Google first for such things. I know
mine lasted several years!)

Lastly, why not try helping newbies or others from time to time
yourself, instead of simply criticizing those who do?

-Peter

Calvin FONG

Peter said:
[...]

Thz, Peter, I'm new and I just need some guidance.
Thank you for your support.
-Calvin