Creating Signed Applets

Discussion in 'Java' started by Manjari, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Manjari

    Manjari Guest

    Hello Friends,

    I am trying to create a signed applet using jdk 1.1.8(it's old times
    back for me...), so I am trying to use the "javakey" tool that comes
    with this jdk. Now, for some reason when I am doing the step of
    actually signing the jar file by doing:

    "javakey -gs sign.directive MyApplet.jar"

    I am getting following error:

    error generating signature: java.util.zip.ZipException: invalid entry
    compressed
    size (expected 9525 but got 9270 bytes)[invalid entry compressed size
    (expected
    9525 but got 9270 bytes)]

    Could you guys & gals please see if you could remember seeing and
    resolving something like this from the days of jdk1.1. I would really
    appreciate your help and time. Thanks in advance.

    Regards,
    Manjari.

    Manjari, Feb 24, 2004

  2. Manjari wrote:
    > I am trying to create a signed applet using jdk 1.1.8

    Why on earth would you do that?
    If you wanted to target the MS 1.1VM
    (whcich I advise people to get rid of
    for security concerns, you really need
    to develop in the last Java that MS spoke,
    1.1.4

    > "javakey -gs sign.directive MyApplet.jar"
    >
    > I am getting following error:
    >
    > error generating signature: java.util.zip.ZipException: invalid entry
    > compressed
    > size (expected 9525 but got 9270 bytes)[invalid entry compressed size
    > (expected
    > 9525 but got 9270 bytes)]

    I noticed that Java compiled to be
    readable by 1.1 JVM's (the -target
    option) was slightly bigger in bytes
    than for the 1.4 VM. That may be it..

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Manjari

    Manjari Guest

    Thank You, Andrew. This has come up as a task to support one of the
    older apps that one of the client has which installs its own java
    plugin 1.1.8(cannot change :( ). I will try to recompile the code with
    the target JVM and see if that helps.

    Manjari, Feb 24, 2004
  4. "Manjari" ...
    > "Andrew Thompson" ...
    > > Manjari wrote:
    > > ..
    > > > I am trying to create a signed applet using jdk 1.1.8

    > > Why on earth would you do that?

    > > > "javakey -gs sign.directive MyApplet.jar"

    > ...This has come up as a task to support one of the
    > older apps that one of the client has which installs its own java
    > plugin 1.1.8(cannot change :( ). I will try to recompile the code with
    > the target JVM and see if that helps.

    I don't get it. What do you mean
    "installs it's own java plug-in" when
    you have the code? Comment out
    the bit(s) that install 1.1.8 and you
    can likely compile and run under
    1.4 (and use jarsigner, ..while
    you're at it!)

    I went looking for further info
    on the 'javakey' tool you mentioned
    and found that most of Sun's links
    either go nowhere, or lead you to a
    page mentioning it has entered 'EOL' process,
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/jar/sign/signing.html
    has several such links..

    Mabe it's time to update!

    (and please do not top-post, it