    want fairly easily? I tried doing a search but couldn't find anything.
    It looks like I have to use cgi scripts which I'm not very familiar
    with. Could someone give me some help, please? Thanks.
    Mike, Apr 29, 2004

  2. Mike

    Keeper Guest

    Learn everything... that'll take a while.
    Learn everything about web design.. still gonna be a while..

    That is all dynamics.. try learning PhP. It is very usefull. I my self don't
    know it. but most mesage boards use it. PhP is Dynamic.. and can be a gr8
    help. Joining a membership that has any security in basic HTML is
    impossable.

    Later,
    Keeper

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > I'm creating a website and I'd like to have something on there where
    > if people want to access certain parts of the site then they have to
    > become a member. I'd like for them to have to create a free account
    > where they have to choose a username and their own password then reply
    > to an email sent to them before they're allowed membership. Kind of
    > like you have to do when using Yahoo or most message boards. I only
    > know basic html and that's pretty much it, though I'm still trying to
    > learn everything. Is there something that would allow me to do what I
    > want fairly easily? I tried doing a search but couldn't find anything.
    > It looks like I have to use cgi scripts which I'm not very familiar
    > with. Could someone give me some help, please? Thanks.

    ---
    Keeper, Apr 29, 2004

  3. Mike

    Guest

    Mike <> wrote:
    > I'm creating a website and I'd like to have something on there where
    > if people want to access certain parts of the site then they have to
    > become a member. I'd like for them to have to create a free account
    > where they have to choose a username and their own password then reply
    > to an email sent to them before they're allowed membership. Kind of
    > like you have to do when using Yahoo or most message boards. I only
    > know basic html and that's pretty much it, though I'm still trying to
    > learn everything. Is there something that would allow me to do what I
    > want fairly easily? I tried doing a search but couldn't find anything.
    > It looks like I have to use cgi scripts which I'm not very familiar
    > with. Could someone give me some help, please? Thanks.

    I can definately help you with that. (I make a product that does this)

    http://www.geniegate.com/

    Do you plan on using it with .htaccess password protection or is PHP
    based better? .htaccess is a lot easier to setup, but you can't do stuff
    like show a partial web page.

    If you use PHP, you can show portions of a page to members while hiding
    it from non-members. (Kind of like creating a "members version" of a
    page I guess)

    There are other packages that do similiar things, each with slightly
    different features, but they all basically control user access in some
    form or another.

    Jamie

    User Management Solutions Perl / PHP / Java / UNIX
    , Apr 29, 2004
  4. "Mike" <> wrote in message
    : I'm creating a website and I'd like to have something on there where
    : if people want to access certain parts of the site then they have to
    : become a member. I'd like for them to have to create a free account
    : where they have to choose a username and their own password then reply
    : to an email sent to them before they're allowed membership. Kind of
    : like you have to do when using Yahoo or most message boards. I only
    : know basic html and that's pretty much it, though I'm still trying to
    : learn everything. Is there something that would allow me to do what I
    : want fairly easily? I tried doing a search but couldn't find anything.
    : It looks like I have to use cgi scripts which I'm not very familiar
    : with. Could someone give me some help, please? Thanks.

    Mike,

    You might be interested in our hosting solution where all the programming
    and database access has already been done. All you need to do is design your
    site and mark up the member-only section using provided custom tags.
    In fact, what you have described is implemented on our web site for our
    members.

    Long
    www.webcharm.ca - Integrated content management web hosting
    Long - CM web hosting, Apr 29, 2004
  5. Mike

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <ri8kc.316993$2oI1.156982
    @twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>, says...
    > In fact, what you have described is implemented on our web site for our
    > members.
    > www.web....- Integrated content management web hosting

    FYI, Your site completely falls apart (unreadable) in 80% of your
    customers browsers.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Apr 29, 2004
    :
    : FYI, Your site completely falls apart (unreadable) in 80% of your
    : customers browsers.
    :
    I don't understand what you mean. Can you be more specific?

    Thanks,

    Long - CM web hosting, Apr 29, 2004