Creating Standalone Apps or similar in .Net???

Alex

Hi

Is it possible to write an app that does not need to be installed before
running. I would like to create a CD autorun application for a product and
thought that it would be a nice little project to familiarize myself with
..Net. Having looked at the project options it appears that only C++ apps can
be created as unmanaged code. I would like to use vb.net or c#. Is there any
other way to do it?

Thanks
Alex

Daniel O'Connell

Alex said:
Hi

Is it possible to write an app that does not need to be installed before
running. I would like to create a CD autorun application for a product and
thought that it would be a nice little project to familiarize myself with
.Net. Having looked at the project options it appears that only C++ apps can
be created as unmanaged code. I would like to use vb.net or c#. Is there any
other way to do it?
Not in any realistic manner. C# and VB.NET always compile to managed code,
C++ using managed extensions is managed as well(atleast partially). This
means the framework has to be installed on every system you want to run it
on, that is really not very realistic.

Alex

Does anyone know what the best language is to write a CD AutoRun
application. If .Net is no good does that mean I will need to us VC++ v6

Alex

Daniel O'Connell

Alex said:
Does anyone know what the best language is to write a CD AutoRun
application. If .Net is no good does that mean I will need to us VC++ v6

VC++ 7 without managed extensions will do, you don't have to jump back to
VC++ 6. However any language that has a fair amount of out of the box
support will do(which probably includes VB6).

For the broadest support, VC++ 6 may be your best choice however, I don't
really know how much changed in the VC++ 7 runtimes, if there are new
runtimes, etc. Its not really my specialty

Guinness Mann

Does anyone know what the best language is to write a CD AutoRun
application. If .Net is no good does that mean I will need to us VC++ v6

I would suggest English. Most of the programming languages assume
English, anyway, so I'd stick with it.

Angus Lepper

I believe if you mean running a program when the cd is inserted, then a file
called autorun.ini works perectly well. :)