Creating User Accounts with or without Active Directory

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by J'son, Apr 25, 2005.

  1. J'son

    J'son Guest

    <REPOSTED>

    Guys,

    I need to build a web intranet application that can automatically
    create a user account when a new user registers on the site. The user
    account will be on the web server, member of the guests group (or some
    other limited group), and get read permissions to a special folder.

    I've tried playing with Active Directory on my local box, but I'm
    running Win XP Pro, not Win Server 2003 so I don't think its available.
    My production server will probably have access to it however.

    So my questions are:

    Can I use Active Directory for this sort of thing? I'm looking for a
    code example for creating a user account, assigning permissions, et.

    If I can't, what was the old ASP, VB 6 way of doing this? I'm sure
    theres an older interface out there somewhere.

    Thanx!

    J'son

    J'son, Apr 25, 2005

  2. J'son

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "J'son" <> wrote in news:1114451208.266974.164320
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > I've tried playing with Active Directory on my local box, but I'm
    > running Win XP Pro, not Win Server 2003 so I don't think its available.
    > My production server will probably have access to it however.
    >
    > So my questions are:
    >
    > Can I use Active Directory for this sort of thing? I'm looking for a
    > code example for creating a user account, assigning permissions, et.

    There is a standalone version of active directory ADAM. You can give that
    version a try - not sure if it runs on XP though.

    > If I can't, what was the old ASP, VB 6 way of doing this? I'm sure
    > theres an older interface out there somewhere.

    Typically just a database table with a couple columns (i.e.
    Username/Password, GroupID, etc).

    Authentication should be done via the Forms Authentication classes - there
    is no need to roll your own authentication : )

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Apr 25, 2005

  3. If this is an intranet application, why does it need to create accounts at
    all? Do the users not already have domain accounts, and can't the read
    permissions on the folder be granted based on membership in a domain group?

    Nicole Calinoiu, Apr 25, 2005
  4. J'son

    J'son Guest

    Imagine this scenario... a small "English as 2nd language" school wants
    to give students space on their web server to post html files (each
    student can have a custom webspace).

    When a new user registers with the site (and is confirmed to be a
    student), the application is to create a new folder under the main
    virtual root for their use:

    http://www.mysmallschool.com/webspaces/<usernamehere>

    So the student can manage files in this new folder, a new FTP virtual
    directory is set up pointing to the above folder on the web server. And
    finally, the student himself is given an account on the web server with
    only read/write permissions to that specific FTP directory. The
    application is to handle all this.

    I have informed the client that I could create a special upload page
    that would be much more secure (and probably easier to implement), but
    they want it done this way so that students can use
    FrontPage/Dreamweaver to publish their files via FTP. Grrrr....

    Whew! See my dilemma? Hence my questions about Active Directory or any
    other security namespace..

    Thanx!

    J'son

    J'son, Apr 25, 2005
  5. What you've described is not really an "intranet" application. If it had
    been, the students would almost certainly have user accounts prior to
    connecting to the application.

    That said, what you want to do is certainly possible, and it can be done in
    the same way on both Windows XP and 2003. There's a sample for adding a new
    local user via System.DirectoryServices at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306271.
    Unfortunately, the 1.x versions of the.NET Framework don't include
    functionality for manipulating file and folder permissions. However, you
    can find a managed wrapper for the required Windows API calls at
    http://www.gotdotnet.com/Community/...mpleGuid=e6098575-dda0-48b8-9abf-e0705af065d9.

    HTH,
    Nicole

    Nicole Calinoiu, Apr 25, 2005
  6. J'son

    J'son Guest

    Nicole,

    You rock.. thanx!! This is definitely going to help out..

    Take care,

    J'son

    J'son, Apr 26, 2005