    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Feb 1, 2007

  2. Brian Cryer

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Brian Cryer" <brianc@127.0.0.1.activesol.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Am I right in assuming that using Automation to generate word documents is
    > a bad idea for a webserver?

    You are completely correct in that. In fact, it's such a bad idea that
    Microsoft won't support any application which does it:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257757#kb2

    > I've always had the impression that with Excel the single threaded nature
    > of it meant it was unsuitable for all but the lightest use on a webserver
    > and I'm making the assumption that the same applies to Word. Am I right?

    Yes you are. Do a search in the newsgroup for the thread entitled
    "Automation of Word from .net 2" - you might find it interesting reading...
    :)

    > Also, does anyone know of any alternatives for generating a word document?
    > (Text + Images + ideally some formatting)

    There are several, varying in price and difficulty.

    1) Use HTML
    Create an HTML document and give it a Word extension - Word will open it
    just like a native Word document. This is completely free and very simple.

    2) Use XML
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...52-3547-420a-a412-00a2662442d9&displaylang=en
    or the equivalent for Office 2007. Again, this is completely free, but will
    involve a fair bit of work, especially if you're not familiar with XML.

    3) Use Aspose
    http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspose.Words/Default.aspx This is a
    commercial product, but very simple.
    Mark Rae, Feb 1, 2007

  3. Brian Cryer

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Mark Rae" <> wrote in message
    > "Brian Cryer" <brianc@127.0.0.1.activesol.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >> Am I right in assuming that using Automation to generate word documents
    >> is a bad idea for a webserver?

    > You are completely correct in that. In fact, it's such a bad idea that
    > Microsoft won't support any application which does it:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257757#kb2
    >
    >> I've always had the impression that with Excel the single threaded nature
    >> of it meant it was unsuitable for all but the lightest use on a webserver
    >> and I'm making the assumption that the same applies to Word. Am I right?

    > Yes you are. Do a search in the newsgroup for the thread entitled
    > "Automation of Word from .net 2" - you might find it interesting
    > reading... :)
    >
    >> Also, does anyone know of any alternatives for generating a word
    >> document? (Text + Images + ideally some formatting)

    > There are several, varying in price and difficulty.
    >
    > 1) Use HTML
    > Create an HTML document and give it a Word extension - Word will open it
    > just like a native Word document. This is completely free and very simple.
    >
    > 2) Use XML
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...52-3547-420a-a412-00a2662442d9&displaylang=en
    > or the equivalent for Office 2007. Again, this is completely free, but
    > will involve a fair bit of work, especially if you're not familiar with
    > XML.
    >
    > 3) Use Aspose
    > http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspose.Words/Default.aspx This is a
    > commercial product, but very simple.

    That was a very quick response. I'm impressed.

    Thank you.
    Brian Cryer, Feb 1, 2007
  4. Brian Cryer

    > That was a very quick response. I'm impressed.

    LOL! I guess you're new here - this most certainly is not the first time
    this question has been asked...;-)
    Mark Rae, Feb 1, 2007