Creating XML Master/detail in one line per record.

Savvoulidis Iordanis

I'm using VS (in ASP.NET VB) for a few months and I'm creating my first site.
But I'm not that familiar with XML. Only the basic stuff. What I'm want to
create is a XML file that will be used as a gridview source. The file should
contain master/detail data with the following requirement :

The master field values (M) and the corresponding detail field values (D) of
a DB record, should be displayed in the same gridview row as if they were
fields from a single table.

That is like: M1|M2|M3|D1|D2|D3|D4.

How can I create an XML file like that? I want it to be an XML file, so the
clients don't hit the DB all the time, since the data is rarely changed after
inserted.

TIA
Iordanis

Savvoulidis Iordanis

Sorry. One thing to rephrase here.
I want the master record and all the detail RECORDS (DR) (and not fields)
for that master record, to display in the same row. The detail rows are
always less than 10 and contain 2 fields only (name and value).

Christophe Lephay

"Savvoulidis Iordanis" <[email protected]> a
écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
(e-mail address removed)...
I'm using VS (in ASP.NET VB) for a few months and I'm creating my first
site.
But I'm not that familiar with XML. Only the basic stuff. What I'm want to
create is a XML file that will be used as a gridview source. The file
should
contain master/detail data with the following requirement :

The master field values (M) and the corresponding detail field values (D)
of
a DB record, should be displayed in the same gridview row as if they were
fields from a single table.

That is like: M1|M2|M3|D1|D2|D3|D4.

How can I create an XML file like that? I want it to be an XML file, so
the
clients don't hit the DB all the time, since the data is rarely changed
after
inserted.

A dataset has WriteXML and ReadXML methods.

I think the easiest way would be to create a dataset with the vs designer
according to your master/detail model.

Once you have your dataset, you can use it to create your xml file.

A dataview will display your data in the grid according to your
requirements.