Crimson Editor query

V S Rawat

Anyone using Crimson Editor for working in Perl?

I have set it up and defined perl interpreter in its tools. It is duly
compiling and executing the program (from within crimson editor). I
have given "capture output" and it is showing the progress in the lower
pane.

However, as soon as it encounters some ReadKey/ReadLine command,
instead of waiting for me to input something, it exits with
Terminated with exit code 2.

For this reason I have to open a separate dos window to execute the
program.

Any method of making Crimson Editor accept input from me?

Thanks.

Sherm Pendley

V S Rawat said:
Any method of making Crimson Editor accept input from me?

Do you get the same results from scripts written in Python, Ruby, etc.?

If so, you have a Crimson Editor question, not a Perl question, and you'll
need to ask in whatever forum is appropriate for that.

sherm--

V S Rawat

Sherm said:
Do you get the same results from scripts written in Python, Ruby,
etc.?

Never used that editor for anything other than Perl.
If so, you have a Crimson Editor question, not a Perl question, and
you'll need to ask in whatever forum is appropriate for that.

The query is indeed Crimson Editor query, but it is having a Perl
interface, hence it is safe to believe that some of the Perl-users
might be using it, and might feel like giving some quick clue.

Which editor do you use for Perl?

Sherm Pendley

V S Rawat said:
The query is indeed Crimson Editor query, but it is having a Perl
interface, hence it is safe to believe that some of the Perl-users
might be using it and might feel like giving some quick clue.

I *did* give you a quick clue. More abrasive folks might have answered with
a glib "did you have a Perl question" or a similarly useless response.

The first step to resolving this issue is as I said - find out if it's a
problem with how perl behaves when running under CE, or if it's a problem
with how CE runs scripts in general. Narrowing down the "problem domain"
in this fashion is the first step to solving any problem.
Which editor do you use for Perl?

That's not relevant.

sherm--

goho

V said:
Anyone using Crimson Editor for working in Perl?

I have set it up and defined perl interpreter in its tools. It is duly
compiling and executing the program (from within crimson editor). I
have given "capture output" and it is showing the progress in the lower
pane.

However, as soon as it encounters some ReadKey/ReadLine command,
instead of waiting for me to input something, it exits with

For this reason I have to open a separate dos window to execute the
program.

Any method of making Crimson Editor accept input from me?

Thanks.

This is way off Perl topic as others have pointed out, so apologies to
those folk, however -
No, CE is a Windows app so it obviously needs some sort of dialogue to
input stuff while run under CE. (AFAIK it has no capabilty of
automatically opening a prompt dialogue - I'm a little bit puzzled how
you intended to get your input into the app other than under a "shell"
like DOS).
Tk is reasonably good for writing quick windows-like dialogues, it
works well under CE and with any luck it will be portable to other OS -
I've never had any probs porting across to *NIX.
That aside, I use CE almost exclusively now whenever my employer(s) say
I have to develop on a Windows box (the ActiveState builds are actually
pretty good!)