Crimson Editor query

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by V S Rawat, Jul 4, 2006.

  1. V S Rawat

    V S Rawat Guest

    Anyone using Crimson Editor for working in Perl?

    I have set it up and defined perl interpreter in its tools. It is duly
    compiling and executing the program (from within crimson editor). I
    have given "capture output" and it is showing the progress in the lower
    pane.

    However, as soon as it encounters some ReadKey/ReadLine command,
    instead of waiting for me to input something, it exits with

    > Terminated with exit code 2.

    For this reason I have to open a separate dos window to execute the
    program.

    Any method of making Crimson Editor accept input from me?

    Thanks.
    --
    Rawat

    V S Rawat, Jul 4, 2006

  2. "V S Rawat" <> writes:

    > Any method of making Crimson Editor accept input from me?

    Do you get the same results from scripts written in Python, Ruby, etc.?

    If so, you have a Crimson Editor question, not a Perl question, and you'll
    need to ask in whatever forum is appropriate for that.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jul 4, 2006

  3. V S Rawat

    V S Rawat Guest

    Sherm Pendley wrote:

    > "V S Rawat" <> writes:
    >
    > > Any method of making Crimson Editor accept input from me?

    > Do you get the same results from scripts written in Python, Ruby,
    > etc.?

    Never used that editor for anything other than Perl.

    > If so, you have a Crimson Editor question, not a Perl question, and
    > you'll need to ask in whatever forum is appropriate for that.

    The query is indeed Crimson Editor query, but it is having a Perl
    interface, hence it is safe to believe that some of the Perl-users
    might be using it, and might feel like giving some quick clue.

    > sherm--

    Which editor do you use for Perl?

    --
    Rawat

    V S Rawat, Jul 4, 2006
  4. "V S Rawat" <> writes:

    > The query is indeed Crimson Editor query, but it is having a Perl
    > interface, hence it is safe to believe that some of the Perl-users
    > might be using it and might feel like giving some quick clue.

    I *did* give you a quick clue. More abrasive folks might have answered with
    a glib "did you have a Perl question" or a similarly useless response.

    The first step to resolving this issue is as I said - find out if it's a
    problem with how perl behaves when running under CE, or if it's a problem
    with how CE runs scripts in general. Narrowing down the "problem domain"
    in this fashion is the first step to solving any problem.

    > Which editor do you use for Perl?

    That's not relevant.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jul 4, 2006
  5. V S Rawat <> wrote:

    > Which editor do you use

    Most professional programmers use vi or emacs.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Jul 5, 2006
  6. V S Rawat

    goho Guest

    V S Rawat wrote:
    > Anyone using Crimson Editor for working in Perl?
    >
    > I have set it up and defined perl interpreter in its tools. It is duly
    > compiling and executing the program (from within crimson editor). I
    > have given "capture output" and it is showing the progress in the lower
    > pane.
    >
    > However, as soon as it encounters some ReadKey/ReadLine command,
    > instead of waiting for me to input something, it exits with
    >
    > > Terminated with exit code 2.

    > For this reason I have to open a separate dos window to execute the
    > program.
    >
    > Any method of making Crimson Editor accept input from me?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > Rawat

    This is way off Perl topic as others have pointed out, so apologies to
    those folk, however -
    No, CE is a Windows app so it obviously needs some sort of dialogue to
    input stuff while run under CE. (AFAIK it has no capabilty of
    automatically opening a prompt dialogue - I'm a little bit puzzled how
    you intended to get your input into the app other than under a "shell"
    like DOS).
    Tk is reasonably good for writing quick windows-like dialogues, it
    works well under CE and with any luck it will be portable to other OS -
    I've never had any probs porting across to *NIX.
    That aside, I use CE almost exclusively now whenever my employer(s) say
    I have to develop on a Windows box (the ActiveState builds are actually
    pretty good!)

    goho, Jul 5, 2006