Critique for PTA site

Adrienne Boswell

So I just know it is latin - right?

Actually it's fake Latin [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum].  I
just got an email from one of the PTA board members about that.

Now in this case you should burn all of your son's "Dick'n'Jane" books
and teach him real latin. - only three days left.

We live in Glendale, so he's learning Armenian and Spanish on the
playground. But there is a growing movement to restore Latin as an
international language, so I'm going to start off with the Winnie The
Pooh translation in Latin. It will help me brush up on my Latin as
well.

Adrienne Boswell

 Adrienne Boswell said:
I volunteerd to do the PTA web site for my son's elementary school, and
need some feedback from the community.  The url is
[http://jmpta.adrienneboswell.com].
All suggestions, comments, bug reports are most welcome.  When responding,
especially with a bug, please indicate browser and operating system.

Hi Adrienne, just a couple of remarks. First, nice, as to be expected.

* I like the yellow with the dark blue. And plus, it is useful to
co-ordinate with the needed dark bg of the nav links and white/yellow
text on these and the right sidebar.

* I would lose the borders on the sidebar. First it looks better
without, Second, you are already fighting for width space (horiz bars
loom early for users with thin browsers and you are guarding against
early float drop.)

* Suggest in the fight against width, instead of 1em all around,
#content {padding: .5em 0 .5em .5em; ...}. You already have white buffer
to left of the container element without any padding (put a thin border
on container to see)

* Suggest to add #header address { ... padding-left: .5em; ...}

And now some other ideas, fancy things maybe, but if they work, would
make it look sort of neater without the yellow hanging at a different
height to the blue.

If you can be reasonably confident of the nav left not being so full of
content that it would push the yellow below the content:

One more wrapper! And a very few additions to CSS.

CSS:

#bigWrap {overflow: hidden; background: #ffd700; ...}
#container {background: #fff; ...}
#content {padding: .5em 0 .5em .5em;...}
and
take border off nav

You likely don't need a min-height on nav now...

Enough for now maybe.

Thank you, that worked perfectly. Much better.

dorayme

Adrienne Boswell said:
Thank you, that worked perfectly. Much better.

One can go on and on with these things but it looks fine now. Perhaps
worth mentioning, I would be *a bit* tempted to give either a
border-top:1px solid #ccc; to #footer or else background: #F3F3F3; (to
take a theme from part of the bg of the header). But not both. And not
important.

Jan C. Faerber

We live in Glendale, so he's learning Armenian and Spanish on the
playground. But there is a growing movement to restore Latin as an
international language, so I'm going to start off with the Winnie The
Pooh translation in Latin. It will help me brush up on my Latin as
well.

international language? a geeky idea.

No - but everybody ask you if you learn a language
"Did you learn latin before?" "Do you know latin?" "Did you have latin
in school?"
Mainly the teachers of languages - and of history.
And then one day your parents will ask when they forget about the
years when you
attended school.

Because latin is a good basis to learn more quickly another language.
You will know that for sure.

Or you forget about that advice - there were people who killed
themself
because one day they discovered that they did not read the Illias.
"The Importance Of Being Psychopathic"