Critique of website design

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Toby A Inkster, Mar 9, 2007.

  1. Hi all,

    Could you take a look at this example page from my new CMS and let me know
    what you think?

    http://test.tobyinkster.co.uk/article/foo/

    Note: most of the links are broken, so don't bother following them.

    What I'm mostly interested in is the usability of the navigation. Is it
    obvious what everything on the page is there for? Is there any navigation
    device you feel is missing?

    Although I'm mainly after your thoughts on navigation and usability, I'd
    also be interested on any other thoughts you might have. Is the visual
    design OK? How do you think it is for accessibility? Any other thoughts?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Geek of ~ HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

    * = I'm getting there!

    Toby A Inkster, Mar 9, 2007

  2. Toby A Inkster

    Neredbojias Guest

    On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 00:45:26 GMT Toby A Inkster scribed:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Could you take a look at this example page from my new CMS and let me
    > know what you think?
    >
    > http://test.tobyinkster.co.uk/article/foo/
    >
    > Note: most of the links are broken, so don't bother following them.
    >
    > What I'm mostly interested in is the usability of the navigation. Is
    > it obvious what everything on the page is there for? Is there any
    > navigation device you feel is missing?
    >
    > Although I'm mainly after your thoughts on navigation and usability,
    > I'd also be interested on any other thoughts you might have. Is the
    > visual design OK? How do you think it is for accessibility? Any other
    > thoughts?

    I get an obscuring white background on the double-arrow of the links with
    IE 6 but not FF or Opera.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Mar 9, 2007

  3. Neredbojias wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 00:45:26 GMT Toby A Inkster scribed:

    > I get an obscuring white background on the double-arrow of the links with
    > IE 6 but not FF or Opera.

    Most likely IE6 limitation with transparency in PNGs, needs to be a
    simple palette PNG and with s simple transparent color, like a GIF for
    it to work in IE, or you have to use that dang IE Filter doodad...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 9, 2007
  4. Toby A Inkster

    Jeff Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 00:45:26 GMT Toby A Inkster scribed:

    >> I get an obscuring white background on the double-arrow of the links
    >> with IE 6 but not FF or Opera.

    Same here.

    Minor points.

    Artical detail table could stand to be vertical-align: top, and the
    links in it weren't obvious.

    Nav folds under content on a narrow screen.

    Could use a little margin under the blogroll text and before the links.

    Nothing to be concerned about, if you dont mind black and lime green!
    I'm working on it!

    Jeff

    Jeff, Mar 9, 2007
  5. Toby A Inkster

    Bergamot Guest

  6. Toby A Inkster

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 9 Mar, 00:45, Toby A Inkster <>
    wrote:

    > Although I'm mainly after your thoughts on navigation and usability, I'd
    > also be interested on any other thoughts you might have.

    <!-- This is a very nasty hack. -->

    Interesting. Instead of your <div> I'm using <hr> for much the same
    purpose, but with CSS to make it invisible. I used to use <br> but
    decided it was something of an abuse of an "inline" element, event
    though it was DTD-valid (everything was inside at least one <div>). I
    use <hr class="fleuron" > if I want them visible.

    An example: <http://codesmiths.com/shed/things/boxes/ark/>

    Andy Dingley, Mar 9, 2007
  7. Toby A Inkster wrote:

    > Hi all,

    G'day.

    > http://test.tobyinkster.co.uk/article/foo/

    The "page: 1,2,3..." line. What does this do?

    Ah. Figured it out. It restricts your content to certain "sections" of the
    "page". All became clear when I must have accidently selected Full and
    noticed your .htaccess? redirect, "/full", in the address bar. I was not
    aware (visually) that there were "sections", or "pages", until then. I
    thought I was going to different URL pages in the, is it blog, element.

    In the above line the colour contrast between the "current", er, page,
    compared to the links to the others is so low that I didn't see it until I
    figured out the aforementioned. Very pale cream as against very very pale
    cream? Same applies elsewhere.

    Also, the text-decoration: underline; you apply on :hover is, for the 1, 2
    and 3 options is almost completely obscured by... the mouse cursor :)

    Finally, why use up only the very middle one third of my canvas for the
    content? Wears out my mouse wheel :)

    Really finally, I personally don't like white (or cream) on dark. Hurts my
    old eyes. Your choice though :)

    --
    Richard.

    Richard Formby, Mar 9, 2007
  8. Toby A Inkster

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    Richard Formby wrote:
    > Toby A Inkster wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,

    > G'day.
    >
    > > http://test.tobyinkster.co.uk/article/foo/

    > The "page: 1,2,3..." line. What does this do?

    > Ah. Figured it out. It restricts your content to certain "sections" of the
    > "page". All became clear when I must have accidently selected Full and
    > noticed your .htaccess? redirect, "/full", in the address bar. I was not
    > aware (visually) that there were "sections", or "pages", until then. I
    > thought I was going to different URL pages in the, is it blog, element.
    >
    > In the above line the colour contrast between the "current", er, page,
    > compared to the links to the others is so low that I didn't see it until I
    > figured out the aforementioned. Very pale cream as against very very pale
    > cream? Same applies elsewhere.
    >
    > Also, the text-decoration: underline; you apply on :hover is, for the 1, 2
    > and 3 options is almost completely obscured by... the mouse cursor :)
    >

    > Finally, why use up only the very middle one third of my canvas for the
    > content? Wears out my mouse wheel :)
    >
    > Really finally, I personally don't like white (or cream) on dark. Hurts my
    > old eyes. Your choice though :)

    Hmmm, maybe Toby could use some kind of style sicher for the CSS so
    that people can choose to have diffferent colours for the site,
    without having to fiddle with browser settings.

    Chaddy2222, Mar 9, 2007
  9. Chaddy2222 wrote

    > Richard Formby wrote:
    >> Toby A Inkster wrote:

    >> > http://test.tobyinkster.co.uk/article/foo/

    >> Really finally, I personally don't like white (or cream) on dark. Hurts
    >> my
    >> old eyes. Your choice though :)

    > Hmmm, maybe Toby could use some kind of style sicher for the CSS so
    > that people can choose to have diffferent colours for the site,
    > without having to fiddle with browser settings.

    Yes perhaps so. But, IMHO such things are bandaid over bandage. Fixing the
    wrong thing.

    Why not get it right, and accessible, the first time.

    How do we know that any of Toby's new switched colours will be better than
    the first ones? Until we see them that is...

    --
    Richard.

    Richard Formby, Mar 9, 2007
  10. Toby A Inkster

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    Richard Formby wrote:
    > Chaddy2222 wrote
    > >
    > > Richard Formby wrote:

    > >> Really finally, I personally don't like white (or cream) on dark. Hurts
    > >> my
    > >> old eyes. Your choice though :)

    > > Hmmm, maybe Toby could use some kind of style sicher for the CSS so
    > > that people can choose to have diffferent colours for the site,
    > > without having to fiddle with browser settings.

    > Yes perhaps so. But, IMHO such things are bandaid over bandage. Fixing the
    > wrong thing.
    >
    > Why not get it right, and accessible, the first time.
    >
    > How do we know that any of Toby's new switched colours will be better than
    > the first ones? Until we see them that is...

    Interesting question. But yes I see what you mean regarrding the issue
    about getting it right the first time. But I think what I was refering
    too more so was to have a swicher (where the user can chage the style
    right from the website. Yeah I know, the usual issues relating to
    pointlesness aply, but if he really want those original colours, for
    branding or whatever.

    Chaddy2222, Mar 9, 2007

  11. >
    > What I'm mostly interested in is the usability of the navigation. Is it
    > obvious what everything on the page is there for? Is there any navigation
    > device you feel is missing?

    not missing but you take an unusual approach by positioning the search
    box at the top left corner. From an accessible point of view one would
    expect the search field top right.

    > Although I'm mainly after your thoughts on navigation and usability, I'd
    > also be interested on any other thoughts you might have. Is the visual
    > design OK? How do you think it is for accessibility? Any other thoughts?

    I have problems reading the typeface you have chosen. Swiss721BT ist
    installed on my system, but it renders terribly on low font sizes. If
    you ask about accessibility you should consider the fact that some fonts
    are not suitable for small font sizes.
    I would stick with the usual suspect (Verdana) as they were specially
    designed for this purpose...

    HTH
    bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Mar 9, 2007
  12. Toby A Inkster wrote

    > http://test.tobyinkster.co.uk/article/foo/

    My eye was initially drawn to the name "tobyinkster.co.uk" then the
    navigation below it.

    My eye was then drawn (albeit pre-warned to look for navigation) to the
    left-hand column which at a glance I presumed was navigation. Turns out it
    has a mixture of navigation/links and article info. I would try to
    minimise such mixing here.

    I would make the name/logo link to home.

    Readability isn't too bad, but white letters glow a bit much for me.

    --
    Charles Sweeney
    http://CharlesSweeney.com

    Charles Sweeney, Mar 24, 2007