Critique please, devallenger.co.nz

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Nik Coughlin, Oct 24, 2007.

  1. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nik Coughlin, Oct 24, 2007

  2. Nik Coughlin

    dorayme Guest

    In article <ffma20$sgi$>,
    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > http://devallenger.co.nz/
    >
    > Thanks!

    It is more than good. It is certainly good enough to move on to
    your next project.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 24, 2007

  3. Nik Coughlin

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 24 Oct, 03:18, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    > http://devallenger.co.nz/

    Pretty damned good.

    Maybe a little bigger on those RHS thumbnails? I'm looking at
    1600x1200 on a vanilla monitor, not anything huge, and they're small
    enough that I can't see any of the detail in them. Your target market
    isn't exactly low-rent, so they may have the same issue.
    Andy Dingley, Oct 24, 2007
  4. Nik Coughlin

    Els Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > http://devallenger.co.nz/

    Very nice - except I don't have Garamond on my pc, so I see my generic
    serif font, which doesn't look like you put any thought in the style
    of the main content. I have no idea what Garamond would look like on
    the page, but I'd suggest using a few more serif fonts as fall-back
    between Garamond and generic serif, to make sure it looks like the
    font was a conscious choice for the design.(my personal choice would
    be Georgia ;-) )

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, Oct 24, 2007
  5. On Oct 23, 10:18 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    > http://devallenger.co.nz/

    It looks almost as good as Caroline does. What a hotty
    Travis Newbury, Oct 24, 2007
  6. On Oct 24, 3:18 am, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > http://devallenger.co.nz/
    >
    > Thanks!

    Nitpicks:

    The grey text in the bottom black box has very poor contrast against
    the background, making it somewhat difficult to read.

    Having the separate "Q&A" and "Contact" pages seems a bit redundant.

    You seem to have quite a number of empty or redundant divs on each
    page.

    A matter of personal taste, perhaps, but the huge amount of black
    space in the banner seems a bit unbalanced to me, almost as if there's
    something missing.

    The four women on the left are nice enough to look at, but why are
    they there? Who are they? My first response was that they were
    models used by whoever this company is, but since the first lady is
    apparently the boss I'm left wondering if the others are staff
    members. Confusing!

    When I load the "Personal Image" page in Firefox I get an intermittent
    problem with the diverseConsulting.png image: sometimes the text flows
    round it, and sometimes the text treats it as background and creates a
    confusing mess.

    If "Personal Image" is your default index page for the domain name it
    shouldn't be the second item in the menu at top, and shouldn't be
    available as a menu option when it's the page being displayed.

    "Landscape design" is hardly part of "interior design"! I'd also lose
    the photo with the bright red toilet; it'll appeal to some but make
    others think your client has absolutely no sense of taste!

    --
    AGw.
    AGw. (Usenet), Oct 24, 2007
  7. On Oct 24, 3:18 pm, "AGw. (Usenet)" <>
    wrote:

    > On Oct 24, 3:18 am, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > >http://devallenger.co.nz/

    > > Thanks!

    > Nitpicks:

    One final point: it's a mistake to mix cases in file names. Users are
    too prone to not writing them down properly, and it's too easy for
    anyone maintaining the site (and it might not be you in future!) to
    create broken links by failing to observe exactly which characters
    happen to be capitalised.

    --
    AGw.
    AGw. (Usenet), Oct 24, 2007
  8. Nik Coughlin

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 24 Oct 2007 02:18:49 GMT
    Nik Coughlin scribed:

    > Hi,
    >
    > http://devallenger.co.nz/
    >
    > Thanks!

    Very attractive! Seems to work well, too.

    Reference was already made to this, but I would reduce the height of the
    banner as it really takes-up a lot of viewport, especially on lower-rez
    monitors. Nevertheless, good job.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Just a boogar in the proboscis of life.
    Neredbojias, Oct 24, 2007
  9. Nik Coughlin

    Jim Moe Guest

    On 10/23/07 07:18 pm, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > http://devallenger.co.nz/

    The layout emphasizes the pix far more than the text. Is this
    intentional? With a viewport about 850px wide the main content is jammed
    into a narrow column to the center right.
    The images on the right do not seem very, um, professional.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)
    Jim Moe, Oct 24, 2007
  10. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "AGw. (Usenet)" <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 24, 3:18 am, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> http://devallenger.co.nz/

    > The grey text in the bottom black box has very poor contrast against
    > the background, making it somewhat difficult to read.

    OK, will alter, thanks.

    > You seem to have quite a number of empty or redundant divs on each
    > page.

    Looks like it, but they are actually used to position corners (needed for
    drop shadow effect) and other background images -- variation on sliding
    doors technique.

    > The four women on the left are nice enough to look at, but why are
    > they there? Who are they? My first response was that they were
    > models used by whoever this company is, but since the first lady is
    > apparently the boss I'm left wondering if the others are staff
    > members. Confusing!

    Yeah, they are staff. I will clarify that, maybe a caption "Our team".
    Thanks for pointing that out.

    > When I load the "Personal Image" page in Firefox I get an intermittent
    > problem with the diverseConsulting.png image: sometimes the text flows
    > round it, and sometimes the text treats it as background and creates a
    > confusing mess.

    You mean, for a short time while the page loads? Or does it "stick" like
    that?

    > If "Personal Image" is your default index page for the domain name it
    > shouldn't be the second item in the menu at top, and shouldn't be
    > available as a menu option when it's the page being displayed.

    Agreed, the client is thinking about what they actually want on the home
    page (I suggest summaries of the other pages), so that is placeholding for
    now.

    > "Landscape design" is hardly part of "interior design"! I'd also lose
    > the photo with the bright red toilet; it'll appeal to some but make
    > others think your client has absolutely no sense of taste!

    I will mention those points to her, thank you. I personally think that the
    copy and photos need work but that's not my job (thankfully!) and she is in
    the process of reviewing the content at the moment.
    Nik Coughlin, Oct 24, 2007
  11. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Els" <> wrote in message
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >> http://devallenger.co.nz/

    > Very nice - except I don't have Garamond on my pc, so I see my generic
    > serif font, which doesn't look like you put any thought in the style
    > of the main content. I have no idea what Garamond would look like on
    > the page, but I'd suggest using a few more serif fonts as fall-back
    > between Garamond and generic serif, to make sure it looks like the
    > font was a conscious choice for the design.(my personal choice would
    > be Georgia ;-) )

    Good point. It was worse before, I made a typo and the fall-back was
    sans-serif instead of serif; I am so used to using sans-serif on my pages
    that I typed it without thinking.

    Cheers
    Nik Coughlin, Oct 24, 2007
  12. On Oct 24, 11:29 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    > "AGw. (Usenet)" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > On Oct 24, 3:18 am, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    > > > http://devallenger.co.nz/

    > > When I load the "Personal Image" page in Firefox I get an intermittent
    > > problem with the diverseConsulting.png image: sometimes the text flows
    > > round it, and sometimes the text treats it as background and creates a
    > > confusing mess.

    > You mean, for a short time while the page loads? Or does it "stick" like
    > that?

    When I looked at it before, it was staying wrong until I refreshed the
    page; I didn't check to see if resizing shifted it. Just now when I
    tried it I got the same problem but it corrected itself when the page
    finished loading. And now I can't reproduce the problem at all!

    > > "Landscape design" is hardly part of "interior design"! I'd also lose
    > > the photo with the bright red toilet; it'll appeal to some but make
    > > others think your client has absolutely no sense of taste!

    > I will mention those points to her, thank you. I personally think that the
    > copy and photos need work but that's not my job (thankfully!) and she is in
    > the process of reviewing the content at the moment.

    I figured that they'll either understand that some spit and polish is
    needed, or they won't; as you say, it's down to them.

    Incidentally, if you're intending on publicising the site without the
    "www." then you shouldn't really have it in the site's graphic.
    Inconsistency can look unprofessional because it implies lack of
    attention to detail. I'm probably just one of the 0.01% of people
    who'd notice, though!

    --
    AGw.
    AGw. (Usenet), Oct 24, 2007
  13. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Nik Coughlin" <>
    writing in news:ffma20$sgi$:

    > Hi,
    >
    > http://devallenger.co.nz/
    >
    > Thanks!

    Really nice except for one thing - the color chosen for #mainnavigation li
    a is a bit dark and was hardly noticable for me against the black
    background. That may be because my monitor tends to be dark, but if it's
    happening for me, it might be happening for others.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Oct 26, 2007