Critique request: x01

artist

Artist, the good little Microsoft drone heard "Andrew Cameron"
Hi guys,

Could you please check out < http://x01.co.uk/frontend/ > and tell me
what you think? Contrary to what the site says, it's not actually
"launched" yet, it's just text for testing purposes. There's two
"articles" up there that I have written and a friend of mine is going
to write some stuff for it, too. The code validates and so does the
CSS, it works in every browser I've tried and is even readable in all
but the "show images and links only" mode in Opera. I reckon that the
site's going to be aimed at web developers anyway, so most people are
going to be viewing with a more modern browser, but it still has to be
"good".

The colors are very light. Text readability is fine, but the other light
colors on the page are distracting. I like the look of the logo itself,
just not the colors.
Just looking for nitpicks, really. Do your worst (oh, but be gentle,
please)! *hides* :eek:)

I don't care to nitpick code; as long as it validates, your good. There
are, after all, many ways to solve the same problem.

--
AIM: GCCFurryBoy
(e-mail address removed)

"Neither hope nor fear" -- Isabella d'Este
"For to do either is to fall to the beast" -- Joseph Richmond

Nick Theodorakis

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:20:45 +0100, Toby A Inkster

[...]
span[lang] {
font-style: italic;
}

Why? Because this adds semantics to the document whereas <i> adds only
presentation.

I disagree. I don't see how <span> adds any semantics. At least <i>
conveys a sense of "this text is somehow different, but there is no
adequate markup to describe it." Moreover, it still presents
differently in the absense of CSS.

Nick

kchayka

Nick said:
span[lang] {
font-style: italic;
}

Why? Because this adds semantics to the document whereas <i> adds only
presentation.

I disagree. I don't see how <span> adds any semantics.

The span itself adds nothing, but the lang attribute that goes with it does.
At least <i>
conveys a sense of "this text is somehow different, but there is no
adequate markup to describe it." Moreover, it still presents
differently in the absense of CSS.

If <i> really is the most appropriate markup for the job, then use it.
Don't use it just because you prefer the presentation it gives.

Joel Shepherd

Leif said:

But span is a semantics-free container. It says "here is some inline
content." The point of using <i> is to say "this content is not
semantics-free, and is structurally important enough to suggest a
specific presentation".

It's a narrow distinction -- and you don't have to agree with it --
but the fact is that a ship's name is not structurally insignificant
.... which means span is the wrong element to wrap it in.

Toby A Inkster

Joel said:
But span is a semantics-free container. It says "here is some inline
content." The point of using <i> is to say "this content is not
semantics-free, and is structurally important enough to suggest a
specific presentation".

that there is no other element in (X)HTML able to describe it.

I would suggest that <span class="ship"> would be more useful than <i> in
that later on we could go back and style span.ship to have a picture of an
anchor in the background or something.

I can also see an argument for <em class="ship"> as the reason for putting
things in italics is to make them stand out, although I can't imagine that
there are a lot of others who agree with me on that one.

picayunish

Without quill or qualm, Toby A Inkster quothed:
The reason for "\r\n" is RFC822, which specifies that line endings in
e-mails must be "\r\n" instead of just "\n".

Thanx Toby for the explanation.
I added your reply into the fake chapter, if you don't mind.?
--
Edwin van der Vaart (Geen familie van....)
http://www.semi-conductors.nl/ PHP Redirect to semi-conductor.nl

Disco

Toby said:
The reason for "\r\n" is RFC822, which specifies that line endings in
e-mails must be "\r\n" instead of just "\n".

I havent got the entire thread for this, but I noticed this from Toby. I
hope this is relevant to this topic, if not, whoops!

I have found that you should not be using "\r" in the headers of emails, as
some email servers and/or firewalls reject the email that contains a "\r"
because it thinks it contains a virus.

This is one of a few sources of this info....
http://lists.horde.org/archives/imp/Week-of-Mon-20030317/031431.html

Thanks

Nick Theodorakis

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 07:52:32 +0100, Toby A Inkster

[...]
I would suggest that <span class="ship"> would be more useful than <i> in
that later on we could go back and style span.ship to have a picture of an
anchor in the background or something.

You can also assign a class to <i> as well. (Or, for that matter, a
language attribute, if you are marking up a foreign word.)

Nick

picayunish