critique these sites please

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Developwebsites, Sep 14, 2004.

  1. Developwebsites, Sep 14, 2004

  2. Developwebsites

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <>,
    ATSPAM says...
    > http://www.siggraph.org

    For the most part I like it, but...

    Run it through the validator and fix the few errors you have. Nothing
    serious, and easy to fix.

    I don't like pages that have multiple columns that by the bottom of the
    page there is only 1 thin column with content.

    Why is the menu on every page BUT the helpdesk?
    --
    WebcastMaker
    Webcasting for free

    WebcastMaker, Sep 14, 2004

  3. ATSPAM (Developwebsites) wrote:

    > http://www.siggraph.org

    It does not validate.

    Would you like a critique of the design? That sucks, too.

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Sep 14, 2004
  4. Developwebsites

    Neal Guest

    On 14 Sep 2004 01:34:37 GMT, Developwebsites
    <> wrote:

    > http://www.siggraph.org

    "These sites" implies more than one. This is one site.

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.siggraph.org/

    7 errors.

    1) script requires type attribute.

    2) link element must go in body.

    3) table does not take attribute height

    4, 7) img requires attribute alt

    5) tr cannot take attribute height

    6) some unallowed characters in there - looks like maybe a long dash
    character.

    Neal, Sep 14, 2004
  5. Developwebsites

    Karl Groves Guest

    "Developwebsites" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.siggraph.org

    Above & beyond the HTML issues mentioned by others, this thing is in serious
    trouble from an Information Architecture & navigation standpoint.
    The front page is just vomitting links on your user's screen and the rest of
    the site isn't much better.

    -Karl

    Karl Groves, Sep 14, 2004
  6. While the city slept, Developwebsites ()
    feverishly typed...

    > http://www.siggraph.org

    Quite nice. Crisp design. Good use of colour. However...

    It would be nice on the home page to start off with a short description of
    who and what the organisation is.
    There seem to be too many links to articles down the right hand side. Maybe
    a short list of the latest news items, followed by a link to "more news"?
    The top menu bar is just white text on a dark blue background, so why not
    use ordinary text for this instead of images? Will load quicker, and the
    text can then be resized.
    As others have said, fix your HTML errors.

    Other than that, like I said, a quite nice and crisp design.

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk

    nice.guy.nige, Sep 14, 2004
  7. Developwebsites

    mark | r Guest

    add line spacing its way too bunched up, also use a bullet point or
    somethgin on the side meny to separate the items

    all the internal pages differ in design?

    mark | r, Sep 14, 2004
  8. Developwebsites

    rf Guest

    mark | r wrote:

    > add line spacing its way too bunched up, also use a bullet point or
    > somethgin on the side meny to separate the items

    Er, are you replying to somebody?

    <checks rest of thread>
    Oh I see.

    Well I don't agree. The line spacing is at its default, as it should be. If
    you don't like it then construct yourself a user style sheet.

    > all the internal pages differ in design?

    True, confusing.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Sep 14, 2004
  9. Developwebsites

    Barefoot Kid Guest

    "Developwebsites" <> wrote in message
    : http://www.siggraph.org

    info overload on front page but saying the visitor has no idea wot the site
    is about, for an organisation devoted to computer graphics the design(???)
    is very dull
    --
    Hung Diep
    http://www.intro-spect.co.uk

    Barefoot Kid, Sep 14, 2004
  10. >
    >Run it through the validator and fix the few errors you have.

    I didnt create this site, just asking what your opinion of it is.
    It's like if I ask you to critique a movie, that doesnt mean I made it, right?

    Developwebsites, Sep 15, 2004
  11. Developwebsites

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <>,
    ATSPAM says...
    > >Run it through the validator and fix the few errors you have.

    > I didnt create this site, just asking what your opinion of it is.
    > It's like if I ask you to critique a movie, that doesnt mean I made it, right?

    and you wasted our time because....

    WebcastMaker, Sep 15, 2004
  12. Developwebsites

    Neal Guest

    On 15 Sep 2004 01:55:24 GMT, Developwebsites
    <> wrote:

    >> Run it through the validator and fix the few errors you have.

    > I didnt create this site, just asking what your opinion of it is.
    > It's like if I ask you to critique a movie, that doesnt mean I made it,
    > right?

    For me to effectively critique it, the errors must be fixed. If you cannot
    fix the errors, it's more difficult to critique. So not a terribly useful
    exercise, I'm afraid.

    Why is it you want it critiqued?

    Neal, Sep 15, 2004
  13. While the city slept, Developwebsites ()
    feverishly typed...

    >> Run it through the validator and fix the few errors you have.

    > I didnt create this site, just asking what your opinion of it is.
    > It's like if I ask you to critique a movie, that doesnt mean I made
    > it, right?

    Erm... in actual fact you asked no such thing. Sure, there was a question in
    your subject line, but not in the body of your message.

    And, if you ask for a critique of a website, it will usually be inferred
    that you created it. That is the common situation in here.

    Why did you want a critique of someone else's site? It would have been
    useful if you had made this point in your original post.

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk

    nice.guy.nige, Sep 15, 2004
  14. On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 01:34:37 +0000, Developwebsites wrote:

    > http://www.siggraph.org

    It would be nice if you actually included some content in the body of your
    message/newsgroup posting rather than the rather cryptic one line.

    Subject? Oh, I see. You have a subject line that explains what you want.
    Well, you know, that is a pretty un-useful way to post to a newsgroup.

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman | **
    Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

    (** Drop "pants" to reply by email)

    Jeffrey Silverman, Sep 15, 2004
  15. Developwebsites

    Sam Hughes Guest

    Jeffrey Silverman <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 01:34:37 +0000, Developwebsites wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.siggraph.org

    > It would be nice if you actually included some content in the body of
    > your message/newsgroup posting rather than the rather cryptic one
    > line.
    >
    > Subject? Oh, I see.

    Wha? Who said subject? Are you hearing voices? ;-)

    Sam Hughes, Sep 16, 2004
  16. Developwebsites

    Guest

    On 14 Sep 2004 01:34:37 GMT, ATSPAM (Developwebsites)
    wrote:

    >http://www.siggraph.org

    The lack of common "look and feel" is very disconcerting.

    For example, these pages:

    http://www.siggraph.org/
    (navigation bar along top and side menu)

    http://www.siggraph.org/membership/#AccessingProceedings
    (navigation bar along top and side menu plus links within page)

    http://www.siggraph.org/cgi-bin/helpdesk
    (no navigation bar)

    http://www.siggraph.org/gen-info/strategic_planning/index.html
    (no navigation bar)

    http://www.siggraph.org/calendar/
    (no navigation bar)

    It's difficult to feel like you are on the same site.

    Please standardise the menus and navigation throughout the site.

    regards
    Marcus

    , Sep 20, 2004