Crockford on JavaScript, Episode IV: The metamorphosis of AJAX

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Jorge, Mar 10, 2010.

  1. Jorge

    Jorge Guest

    Jorge, Mar 10, 2010

  2. Jorge

    Jorge Guest

    On Mar 10, 3:51 pm, Jorge <> wrote:

    > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/
    >
    > Enjoy,

    IE6 MUST DIE !

    :))

    <quote>
    So IE6 must die.
    [laughter and applause]
    A couple of weeks ago, I think, YouTube – has anyone heard of YouTube?
    – they announced that they weren't going to support IE6 anymore. It
    was great. But if you look at what they actually said, they said
    "well, we'll continue to let them see movies, but they won't get the
    new special features." It's like, who goes to YouTube for the new
    special features? That's just stupid.
    So we need to have a statement that yeah, we're not going to support
    IE6 anymore, but we've got to have better teeth in it than that.
    Nobody wants to be the first website that has the teeth. I know that
    my company doesn't. We don't want to be the ones to say, "IE6? Scram.
    Go off to AOL or Bing or some other place, we don't want you."
    Nobody's going to do that. So somehow we have to figure out a way to
    get everybody in agreement to pick a time and date and say on that
    date, anybody who comes to us in IE6, they go to a referral page
    saying "you have to install one of these good browsers. I'm sorry.
    You're just not welcome anywhere in the world anymore."
    </quote>
    --
    Jorge

    Jorge, Mar 10, 2010

  3. Jorge

    David Mark Guest

    Jorge wrote:
    > On Mar 10, 3:51 pm, Jorge <> wrote:
    >> http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/
    >>
    >> Enjoy,

    > IE6 MUST DIE !
    >
    > :))
    >
    > <quote>
    > So IE6 must die.
    > [laughter and applause]

    Remember, this guy (JS luminary and all) is partially responsible for
    YUI, which sniffs and "grades" browsers. Hopefully they were laughing
    _at_ him (and applauding a dog act in another ring).

    > A couple of weeks ago, I think, YouTube – has anyone heard of YouTube?

    Yes. They suck. What about them?

    > – they announced that they weren't going to support IE6 anymore.

    Figures. Of course, I doubt if they ever supported it very well.

    > It
    > was great.

    I guess you had to be there.

    > But if you look at what they actually said, they said
    > "well, we'll continue to let them see movies, but they won't get the
    > new special features." It's like, who goes to YouTube for the new
    > special features? That's just stupid.

    No, you are just stupid. When does the puppet show start?

    David Mark, Mar 10, 2010
  4. Jorge

    lorlarz Guest

    lorlarz, Mar 10, 2010
  5. Jorge

    lorlarz Guest

    On Mar 10, 1:47 pm, Jorge <> wrote:
    > On Mar 10, 3:51 pm, Jorge <> wrote:
    >

    > >http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/

    [snip]

    > Jorge

    In that very lecture of the series (just a few days ago), Crockford
    said he had not
    seen any reports on how other libraries do on JSLint. Well, that has
    changed. I have
    made sure he has seen the JSLint report on jQuery 1.4.2 . Wondering
    if he will ever
    comment. Perhaps he is waiting until next month, when the jQuery
    people claim their
    1.4.3 will be in-compliance within reason. I hope he will grace us
    with an opinion at
    some point.

    lorlarz, Mar 10, 2010
  6. Jorge

    David Mark Guest

    lorlarz wrote:
    > On Mar 10, 1:47 pm, Jorge <> wrote:
    >> On Mar 10, 3:51 pm, Jorge <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/

    > [snip]
    >
    >> Jorge

    > In that very lecture of the series (just a few days ago), Crockford
    > said he had not
    > seen any reports on how other libraries do on JSLint.

    Meaning other than YUI? Too bad the logic doesn't pass muster. Sort of
    like a laminated rat.

    > Well, that has
    > changed. I have
    > made sure he has seen the JSLint report on jQuery 1.4.2 .

    I'm sure he'll be thrilled. :)

    > Wondering
    > if he will ever
    > comment. Perhaps he is waiting until next month, when the jQuery
    > people claim their
    > 1.4.3 will be in-compliance within reason.

    Seems prudent to wait until it actually happens.

    > I hope he will grace us
    > with an opinion at
    > some point.

    I'll give you one now. The improvements were an ineffectual drop in the
    bucket. Hell, they ignored the most numerous of the problems (ambiguous
    loose comparisons to null).

    Did you see where a bunch of plug-ins went belly up recently because the
    jQuery data method abruptly switched from returning undefined to null
    (or vice versa?) How do you suppose that slipped through? :)

    David Mark, Mar 10, 2010
  7. In comp.lang.javascript message <e14ebcac-169d-4461-9411-b8e7779d5dfa@u9
    g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>, Wed, 10 Mar 2010 11:47:33, Jorge
    <> posted:

    ><quote>
    >So we need to have a statement that yeah, we're not going to support
    >IE6 anymore, but we've got to have better teeth in it than that.
    >Nobody wants to be the first website that has the teeth. I know that
    >my company doesn't. We don't want to be the ones to say, "IE6? Scram.
    >Go off to AOL or Bing or some other place, we don't want you."
    >Nobody's going to do that. So somehow we have to figure out a way to
    >get everybody in agreement to pick a time and date and say on that
    >date, anybody who comes to us in IE6, they go to a referral page
    >saying "you have to install one of these good browsers. I'm sorry.
    >You're just not welcome anywhere in the world anymore."
    ></quote>

    One could start by including a link enticing them to visit the EU
    browser-choice page - to avoid ill-timed distraction, put it where a
    log-off button might reasonably go.

    --
    (c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
    Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;