cron manipulation using perl

siddhartha mulpuru

Hi,

I am trying to develop a webpage with login,password and Unix box name
as input fields which will post to a perl script that would do the
following in CRON:
- Allow you to access and LOGIN to specific UNIX boxes
- Display the entries
- Allow Editing of an entry
- Allow searching for a specific entry
- The returned page for each entry must display the page in "laymen's"
english, not cryptically as found in CRON
(In other words a conversion must take place to and from the format
in CRON)
- Upon entering the data it should submit convert the entry from
laymens' display, send it to the system, and
issue the "CRONTAB Filename" command to upload it for that specific
USERID/PASSWORD.

I need to know ideas on how i can go about implementing this. Any
sample code or just some ideas how this can be done ?

Please advise and i appreciate your time a lot

Thanks
Sid

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

siddhartha said:
I am trying to develop a webpage with login,password and Unix box name
as input fields which will post to a perl script that would do the
following in CRON:
- Allow you to access and LOGIN to specific UNIX boxes
- Display the entries
- Allow Editing of an entry
- Allow searching for a specific entry

I need to know ideas on how i can go about implementing this. Any
sample code or just some ideas how this can be done ?

Webpage means CGI, I suppose. Are you talking about letting users edit
root files that way? Then you would need a setuid script, with
significant security implications.

To be honest, the fact that you need to ask for advice in the way you
just did indicates that you are not experienced enough to make such a
script available to 'the world'.

siddhartha mulpuru

Well i have done perl scirpting with basic perl-cgi scripts . This is
something i never really tried .. so i would like to know how i can go
about getting this done even if it means a lot of learning.. And if it
is not possible to do it then i should know what are the reasons so i
can convince people who want me to do this ...

Thanks
Sid

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

siddhartha said:
Well i have done perl scirpting with basic perl-cgi scripts . This
is something i never really tried .. so i would like to know how i
can go about getting this done even if it means a lot of learning..

Well, then you'd better start studying Unix/Perl/CGI and go for it, I
suppose. ;-)

But I think you should check out whether there is a suitable web
interface to cron already written. I'm using Usermin
(http://www.webmin.com/index6.html), which includes a module for users
to schedule cron jobs. Wolfgang gave you another tip.
And if it is not possible to do it

Of course it is *possible*.