cron manipulation using perl

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by siddhartha mulpuru, Sep 17, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I am trying to develop a webpage with login,password and Unix box name
    as input fields which will post to a perl script that would do the
    following in CRON:
    - Allow you to access and LOGIN to specific UNIX boxes
    - Display the entries
    - Allow Editing of an entry
    - Allow searching for a specific entry
    - The returned page for each entry must display the page in "laymen's"
    english, not cryptically as found in CRON
    (In other words a conversion must take place to and from the format
    in CRON)
    - Upon entering the data it should submit convert the entry from
    laymens' display, send it to the system, and
    issue the "CRONTAB Filename" command to upload it for that specific
    USERID/PASSWORD.

    I need to know ideas on how i can go about implementing this. Any
    sample code or just some ideas how this can be done ?

    Please advise and i appreciate your time a lot

    Thanks
    Sid

    siddhartha mulpuru, Sep 17, 2004

  2. siddhartha mulpuru wrote:
    > I am trying to develop a webpage with login,password and Unix box name
    > as input fields which will post to a perl script that would do the
    > following in CRON:
    > - Allow you to access and LOGIN to specific UNIX boxes
    > - Display the entries
    > - Allow Editing of an entry
    > - Allow searching for a specific entry

    <snip>

    > I need to know ideas on how i can go about implementing this. Any
    > sample code or just some ideas how this can be done ?

    Webpage means CGI, I suppose. Are you talking about letting users edit
    root files that way? Then you would need a setuid script, with
    significant security implications.

    To be honest, the fact that you need to ask for advice in the way you
    just did indicates that you are not experienced enough to make such a
    script available to 'the world'.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Sep 17, 2004

  3. Hello,

    > - The returned page for each entry must display the page in "laymen's"
    > english, not cryptically as found in CRON

    You might want to have a look at

    http://freshmeat.net/projects/cromagnon/

    It probably does what you want, except for being a web interface. :)

    Regards,
    Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Hommel, Sep 17, 2004
  4. Well i have done perl scirpting with basic perl-cgi scripts . This is
    something i never really tried .. so i would like to know how i can go
    about getting this done even if it means a lot of learning.. And if it
    is not possible to do it then i should know what are the reasons so i
    can convince people who want me to do this ...

    Thanks
    Sid

    siddhartha mulpuru, Sep 18, 2004
  5. siddhartha mulpuru wrote:
    > Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
    >> siddhartha mulpuru wrote:
    >>> I need to know ideas on how i can go about implementing this.
    >>> Any sample code or just some ideas how this can be done ?

    >> Webpage means CGI, I suppose. Are you talking about letting users
    >> edit root files that way? Then you would need a setuid script,
    >> with significant security implications.
    >>
    >> To be honest, the fact that you need to ask for advice in the way
    >> you just did indicates that you are not experienced enough to
    >> make such a script available to 'the world'.

    > Well i have done perl scirpting with basic perl-cgi scripts . This
    > is something i never really tried .. so i would like to know how i
    > can go about getting this done even if it means a lot of learning..

    Well, then you'd better start studying Unix/Perl/CGI and go for it, I
    suppose. ;-)

    But I think you should check out whether there is a suitable web
    interface to cron already written. I'm using Usermin
    (http://www.webmin.com/index6.html), which includes a module for users
    to schedule cron jobs. Wolfgang gave you another tip.

    > And if it is not possible to do it

    Of course it is *possible*.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson