Cross-application user controls?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by matt del vecchio, Oct 20, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I work in an environment where many developers work on serveral
    different web apps, each launched as a Virtual Directory webapp in
    IIS. The parent folder for all of these webapps is "/InetPub/wwwroot".

    I had hoped that it would be possible to create a "/controls" folder
    in wwwroot, and allow any child VD/webapp's webform to load user
    controls from it, ala:

    <%@ Register TagPrefix="AP" TagName="DrilLDownUI"
    src="/controls/content/drillDownUI.ascx" %>

    ....alas, this does not appear possible. I get:

    "The virtual path '/controls/content/drillDownUI.ascx' maps to another
    application, which is not allowed."

    I have searched for articles on google on this, but it appears this
    functionality is not supported. Can anyone confirm?

    I'm guessing that the work around is to create custom server controls
    and distribute .dlls to the child VD/webapp's "/bin" dirs. I was
    hoping not to have to do that because, being new to server controls,
    they seem much more difficult for me to generate compared to webforms
    or user controls.

    Thanks!
    matt

    matt del vecchio, Oct 20, 2003