Cross-browser compatibility of Asp.net 2.0

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by dejavue82@yahoo.com, Mar 14, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Dear Asp.net users,

    I have seen some people comment that their asp.net websites render
    differently with various web browsers. Are they doing somthing wrong?

    In particilar,

    1) I am wondering how cross-browser compatible the client code is the
    asp.net 2.0 generates.

    2) Are there server controls included with asp.net 2.0 that only work
    with IE?

    3) Does the validation control work without javascript enabled? (If you
    visit dell.com and disable javascript, their login form doesn't even
    appear! It could well be that they are still using asp.net 1.0.)

    I appreciate your time and input.

    Regards,

    Jim Light

    , Mar 14, 2006

  2. Mark Rae Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > I have seen some people comment that their asp.net websites render
    > differently with various web browsers. Are they doing somthing wrong?

    Generally speaking, I don't even bother to verify against anything other
    than IE & FireFox on Windows. It's simply not worth the effort since those
    two browsers account for 94% of web usage by browser, and Windows
    constitutes 92% of web usage by OS.
    http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2005/December/browser.php
    http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2005/December/os.php

    That said, I'm currently in the process of verifying a website against
    Safari and FireFox on a Mac. FireFox seems to be fairly OK, but Safari is an
    absolute nightmare. Specifically tables seem to size themselves differently,
    making layout a real pain. For my own interest, I tried to use Safari on one
    of my other sites, and couldn't even log on! FireFox seemed to work fine,
    though...

  4. re:
    > 2) Are there server controls included with asp.net 2.0 that only work with IE?

    They should work with any browser, provided you detect the browser
    and send it HTML/javascript it can understand.

    Controls can send different output to different browsers.
    It's up to you to implement that, though.

    re:
    > 3) Does the validation control work without javascript enabled?

    All of the validation controls do server side validation, not client-side.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 14, 2006

    Hmmm, I thought that Asp.net 2.0 detects the type of browser
    automatically and then sends the correct html to that browser, no?

    , Mar 14, 2006
  6. No. It has the *capability* to do that.
    You have to implement it...and update the necessary files.

    Look into sending downlevel/uplevel HTML to browsers,
    and make sure you have the correct entries in your web.config or machine.config
    ( yes, you can still use them ) or write updated *.browser files which cover
    the capabilities for the browsers you are intending to target.

    The *.browser files should be located at :

    drive:\%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\Browsers

    Use the samples provided to create your custom *.browser files,
    depending on your targeted browser's capabilities.

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 14, 2006

    Thank you very much for your great response!

    To give some background info as to why I'm asking these questions: I am
    trying to decide on a web language and would like to stick with which
    ever one I choose.

    Just to clarify: You are saying that one could either perform the
    configurations within the website files (ie. web.config) OR on the
    server (ie. .browser)? What impact would this have in a shared hosting
    environment?

    Again, thanks a lot!

    Regards,

    Jim Light

    , Mar 15, 2006
  8. re:
    > Just to clarify: You are saying that one could either perform the
    > configurations within the website files (ie. web.config) OR on the
    > server (ie. .browser)?

    If you use web.config, it would have a per-application effect.

    If you use machine.config, the effect would be on the server as a whole.
    If you use*.browser files, the effect would be on the server as a whole.

    re:
    > What impact would this have in a shared hosting environment?

    If you don't modify machine.config or use *.browser files, each individual user
    would have to implement their own modifications to web.config if they want
    to be able to implement accurate browser detection.

    It's up to you as a shared hoster whether you want to offer such a service to your users.

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 15, 2006