cross browser compatibility

jb

Is there any way of testing a site over several browers without downloading
the whole sorfware? I'm thinking in particular of Morzilla and Opera
Cheers

Remove XX in direct reply

brucie

Is there any way of testing a site over several browers without downloading
the whole sorfware? I'm thinking in particular of Morzilla and Opera

download the browsers. any claims that a program or system can show you
how your site will appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate
and at worst totally false and misleading.

Nico Schuyt

jb said:
Is there any way of testing a site over several browers without
downloading the whole sorfware? I'm thinking in particular of
Morzilla and Opera

Almost every browser: http://www.browsercam.com/
Ideal for testing Mac when you have a pc.
But a screen shot gives very limited information. Better to install the
browsers when possible.
Nico

Thomas Jollans

jb said:
Is there any way of testing a site over several browers without downloading
the whole sorfware? I'm thinking in particular of Morzilla and Opera
Cheers

Remove XX in direct reply

Download them. you can use mozilla net installer and only install
navigator if you want. you can also download opera without java.

Thomas

delerious

Since Netscape is now based on Mozilla, can I assume that if a page looks a
certain way in Mozilla, then it will look the same way in Netscape?

brucie

Since Netscape is now based on Mozilla, can I assume that if a page looks a
certain way in Mozilla, then it will look the same way in Netscape?

no (even if they're using the same build)

Jonathan Silverlight

In message said:
Since Netscape is now based on Mozilla, can I assume that if a page looks a
certain way in Mozilla, then it will look the same way in Netscape?

Not if you want your site to look the same with older versions of
Netscape.

Whitecrest

No, but you can verify that it conforms to defined standards with an
validator. See <http://www.w3c.org> and <http://validator.w3c.org>.

Sadly validation is meaningless with todays browsers (any of them), if
you are concerned as to how your page will work.

Validation is good to check if you are headed in the right direction.
After you validate, you pop back and see if it works in the major
browsers, then to make the appropriate (non validating if need be)
changed to make it work right.

Chris Game

Whitecrest said:
Sadly validation is meaningless with todays browsers (any of
them), if you are concerned as to how your page will work.

Validation is good to check if you are headed in the right
direction. After you validate, you pop back and see if it works
in the major browsers, then to make the appropriate (non
validating if need be) changed to make it work right.

Quite right, and sensible advice. Which is why I repeated it.

You can often tell when a page has been written with scant regard to
the users, but some geeky idealistic motivation, by those little
yellow boxy icons with 'W3C validated' or some such on. The worst
examples have more than one such icon.

brucie

Mind explaining?

show me some money
Besides AIM and the logos, I can't see much difference.

when throwing pages together i noticed on occasions that even though NS
and the moz i was using were the same build (1.4) they occasionally
displayed the page differently. IIRC it was mainly margins.

Matthias Gutfeldt

Chris said:
Whitecrest said:

Quite right, and sensible advice. Which is why I repeated it.

You can often tell when a page has been written with scant regard to
the users, but some geeky idealistic motivation, by those little
yellow boxy icons with 'W3C validated' or some such on. The worst
examples have more than one such icon.

More confusion... validation is not a usability check. Whether or not a
page validates has nothing to do with usability (unless the markup is so
broken that even the most forgiving browser can't make any sense out of it).

Matthias

Whitecrest

say-no-to- said:
More confusion... validation is not a usability check. Whether or not a
page validates has nothing to do with usability (unless the markup is so
broken that even the most forgiving browser can't make any sense out of it).

Never said it was. But a page can validate and be completely unusable.
So you have to put validation in its place. You validate to see if you
have things right, then you test and make the needed (sometimes non
validating) code to fix it.