cross browser testing program

Ciaran

Hi All, I'm wondering how you all test your sites in various browsers?
I guess the most common way is web screenshots but I find it slow and
cumbersome so I was wondering if anyone knows of a program that can
open a page in the most common browsers in tabs across the top so you
can really experience your design in each one?
Cheers,
Ciarán

dorayme

Ciaran said:
Hi All, I'm wondering how you all test your sites in various browsers?
I guess the most common way is web screenshots but I find it slow and
cumbersome so I was wondering if anyone knows of a program that can
open a page in the most common browsers in tabs across the top so you
can really experience your design in each one?
Cheers,
Ciarán

In general, there is nothing. Most of us just open pages in
different browsers and have a look. Bit of a bore, true.

In Firefox for Windows, there is a facility you can get to see
how things look in Internet Explorer for Windows. AFAIK.

Rob Waaijenberg

Ciaran schreef:
Hi All, I'm wondering how you all test your sites in various browsers?
I guess the most common way is web screenshots but I find it slow and
cumbersome so I was wondering if anyone knows of a program that can
open a page in the most common browsers in tabs across the top so you
can really experience your design in each one?
Cheers,
Ciarán

Not a program but a website:

http://browsershots.org/

RW

Ciaran

In Firefox for Windows, there is a facility you can get to see
how things look in Internet Explorer for Windows. AFAIK.

Yeah, this is what I mean - Wouldn't it be great to have one program
that could test your page in each browser at the same time? You could
download new browsers and keep track of updates in each version of
each browser. It can't be that complicated - I can't imagine a browser
is a hugely complicated thing to code. I guess the creator would have
to pay for permission to use most browsers' source coding.

Ben C

Yeah, this is what I mean - Wouldn't it be great to have one program
that could test your page in each browser at the same time?

Why not just a script something like:

firefox $1 &
opera $1 &
konqueror $1 &

And/or attach it to a program like urlview or Python's webbrowser
module.
You could download new browsers and keep track of updates in each
version of each browser. It can't be that complicated - I can't
imagine a browser is a hugely complicated thing to code.

They are quite complicated.
I guess the creator would have to pay for permission to use most
browsers' source coding.

MS don't release their source code except to people like the Chinese
government.

dorayme

Ciaran said:
Yeah, this is what I mean - Wouldn't it be great to have one program
that could test your page in each browser at the same time? You could
download new browsers and keep track of updates in each version of
each browser. It can't be that complicated - I can't imagine a browser
is a hugely complicated thing to code. I guess the creator would have
to pay for permission to use most browsers' source coding.

Do you realise _how_ great that would be for us on Macs? <g>

Bergamot

Rob said:

Note that services such as this have limited use. They cannot test such
things as how the design responds to variations in window or text size,
scripting, events like :hover, etc.

It's OK as a rough idea, but I wouldn't fool myself into believing it's
all the testing that's needed.

Adrienne Boswell

Hi All, I'm wondering how you all test your sites in various browsers?
I guess the most common way is web screenshots but I find it slow and
cumbersome so I was wondering if anyone knows of a program that can
open a page in the most common browsers in tabs across the top so you
can really experience your design in each one?
Cheers,
Ciarán

There's a little program called MTBrowser. What it does is open a URL in
various browsers. Instead of having to open each one individually and
copying the pasting the URL, you put it in once, and the program opens them
all up <http://minitutorials.com/apps/mtbrowser/>

Rob Waaijenberg

Bergamot schreef:
Note that services such as this have limited use. They cannot test such
things as how the design responds to variations in window or text size,
scripting, events like :hover, etc.

It's OK as a rough idea, but I wouldn't fool myself into believing it's
all the testing that's needed.

I agree,
just wanted to point out a 'tool'.

Rob