cross domain cookie plus form generator

Eric Hymander

Had a unique (for me) problem and solved it as below - if you have a better
solution or suggestion, love to hear it. If you have NO solution, please
profit from my success.

NEEDED - to read data from a displayed page NOT on my domain, NOT owned by
me, but with a known layout. Collect various specific pieces of table data,
then apply that data within a form on a page in MY domain (or local).
Needed to do that with the press of one button. Multi-browser platform not
required. IE6 was the only constraint.

SOLUTION - add a button to the IE toolbar which launches a script. Script
reads current page displayed, collects required data. Script then does a
window.open() and writes out a small dynamic script to run in the new
window, now in a domain I can control. This new dynamic script creates its
own cookie containing the required data, then does a window.locate to where
the data needs to be (the form). The form page naturally now has no problem
reading the cookie.

A bit cloodgey, but works brilliantly without all those stupid "Access is
Denied" and "Permission Denied" crap which made me crazy all afternoon.
:)