Cross platform development

Karsten

Hi

I'm a really a new with this cross platform development, so I have some dumb
questions, which I hope you can help me with.

If there is a better newsgroup for this question, please point me to it.

I have written a Win32 application in Delphi.

Some of the most platform depended features I can think of is that it's much
gui controlled with themes support (not XP themes) and playing of audio.

The application, must be made to run on Unix, Linux and Mac OS X. To me it
seems I have theses choices:

- Rewrite the application in Java.

- Rewrite the application to .net.

- Rewrite the application using a cross platform framework like wxWidgets or
Qt.

I would of course like to reuse as much of the Delphi code as possible:

I know Delphi has support for .net, but I don't how much this can help me.

I also know that a cross platform (object) Pascal compiler exists, again I
don't know how much this can help me.

I'm thinking that some of the GUI in depended code could be compiled to a
platform depended library, would this be a good idea?

What solution would you recommend me to take, and do you have any links book
titles to good updated information about this subject?

Phlip

Karsten said:
I'm a really a new with this cross platform development, so I have some dumb
questions, which I hope you can help me with.

If there is a better newsgroup for this question, please point me to it.
Delphi.
Unix, Linux and Mac OS X.
Java.
.net.
wxWidgets or Qt.

This is amazing. You didn't mention C++ (directly) once in your post.

C++ is our security blanket here. We feel bad when people don't post about,
you know, C++.

Try http://groups.google.com/ or a vanilla newsgroup like
.
I would of course like to reuse as much of the Delphi code as possible:

Kylix?

Nicolas Pavlidis

Karsten said:
Hi

I'm a really a new with this cross platform development, so I have some dumb
questions, which I hope you can help me with.

If there is a better newsgroup for this question, please point me to it.
I have written a Win32 application in Delphi.

I think your better placed in comp.lang.delphi (I think that the
newsgroup is called this way)
The application, must be made to run on Unix, Linux and Mac OS X. To me it
seems I have theses choices:

- Rewrite the application in Java.

- Rewrite the application to .net.

- Rewrite the application using a cross platform framework like wxWidgets or
Qt.

Or you use Kylix, but mayby there are some problems with the compatility
between VCL and CLX.

But maybe its good to rewrite it in Java.
I would of course like to reuse as much of the Delphi code as possible:

Clear, then Kylix is your choice.

Kind regrads,
Nicolas