Cross platform development

Discussion in 'C++' started by Karsten, Sep 29, 2004.

  1. Karsten

    Karsten Guest

    Hi

    I'm a really a new with this cross platform development, so I have some dumb
    questions, which I hope you can help me with.

    If there is a better newsgroup for this question, please point me to it.

    I have written a Win32 application in Delphi.

    Some of the most platform depended features I can think of is that it's much
    gui controlled with themes support (not XP themes) and playing of audio.

    The application, must be made to run on Unix, Linux and Mac OS X. To me it
    seems I have theses choices:

    - Rewrite the application in Java.

    - Rewrite the application to .net.

    - Rewrite the application using a cross platform framework like wxWidgets or
    Qt.

    I would of course like to reuse as much of the Delphi code as possible:

    I know Delphi has support for .net, but I don't how much this can help me.

    I also know that a cross platform (object) Pascal compiler exists, again I
    don't know how much this can help me.

    I'm thinking that some of the GUI in depended code could be compiled to a
    platform depended library, would this be a good idea?

    What solution would you recommend me to take, and do you have any links book
    titles to good updated information about this subject?

    Karsten, Sep 29, 2004

  2. Karsten

    Phlip Guest

    Re: [OT] Cross platform development

    Karsten wrote:

    > I'm a really a new with this cross platform development, so I have some

    dumb
    > questions, which I hope you can help me with.
    >
    > If there is a better newsgroup for this question, please point me to it.

    > Delphi.
    > Unix, Linux and Mac OS X.
    > Java.
    > .net.
    > wxWidgets or Qt.

    This is amazing. You didn't mention C++ (directly) once in your post.

    C++ is our security blanket here. We feel bad when people don't post about,
    you know, C++.

    Try http://groups.google.com/ or a vanilla newsgroup like
    news:comp.programming .

    > I would of course like to reuse as much of the Delphi code as possible:

    Kylix?

    --
    Phlip

    Phlip, Sep 29, 2004

  3. [OT] Re: Cross platform development

    "Karsten" <> writes:

    > Hi
    >

    > I'm a really a new with this cross platform development, so I have some dumb
    > questions, which I hope you can help me with.
    >
    > If there is a better newsgroup for this question, please point me to it.
    > I have written a Win32 application in Delphi.

    I think your better placed in comp.lang.delphi (I think that the
    newsgroup is called this way)

    > The application, must be made to run on Unix, Linux and Mac OS X. To me it
    > seems I have theses choices:
    >
    > - Rewrite the application in Java.
    >
    > - Rewrite the application to .net.
    >
    > - Rewrite the application using a cross platform framework like wxWidgets or
    > Qt.

    Or you use Kylix, but mayby there are some problems with the compatility
    between VCL and CLX.

    But maybe its good to rewrite it in Java.

    > I would of course like to reuse as much of the Delphi code as possible:

    Clear, then Kylix is your choice.

    Kind regrads,
    Nicolas

    --
    | Nicolas Pavlidis | Elvis Presly: |\ |__ |
    | Student of SE & KM | "Into the goto" | \|__| |

    Nicolas Pavlidis, Sep 29, 2004
  4. Karsten

    Karsten Guest

    Re: [OT] Cross platform development