Cross Platform GUI Toolkits

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Tabor Kelly, Feb 10, 2005.

  1. Tabor Kelly

    Tabor Kelly Guest

    Hello,

    My apologies if this is a silly question. I have never written a game
    before and I have never used a GUI toolkit before. I am an accomplished
    programmer (at things like HTTP proxy servers), and a senior in a
    Computer Science program.

    I want to write a simple asteroids style game that will run on both my
    FreeBSD box, and my brother's Windows box. I want to use Ruby because I
    really want to learn Ruby, partially so I can try out RAILS. I want to
    write a clone of an old DOS game I can remember playing, but I can't
    remember the name of it.

    Anyway, I will need simple 2D animation. So, what will work for this? I
    heat GTK+ is nice to code for with Ruby, but it looks like the Win32
    port for GTK+ is kind of unstable (please correct me if I am wrong). I
    have heard that TK is a little painful to program with, but is _very_
    cross platform (again, correct me if I am wrong). How about FOX? Will
    these GUI toolkits even work, or should I be looking at SDL?

    Thank You in advance.

    --

    Tabor Kelly

    http://tabor.taborandtashell.net
    Tabor Kelly, Feb 10, 2005

  2. On Feb 10, 2005, at 8:32 PM, Tabor Kelly wrote:
    > Anyway, I will need simple 2D animation. So, what will work for this?
    > I heat GTK+ is nice to code for with Ruby, but it looks like the Win32
    > port for GTK+ is kind of unstable (please correct me if I am wrong). I
    > have heard that TK is a little painful to program with, but is _very_
    > cross platform (again, correct me if I am wrong). How about FOX? Will
    > these GUI toolkits even work, or should I be looking at SDL?

    gtk's canvas is not only slow but also supposedly quite
    unstable on win32. so yeah. i think ur right ;)

    i'm qtruby co-devel so i should really be saying things
    like: qt! cus qt4 will have gpl'ed windows support!!!
    and its wonderful! yay! and whoop!

    but erm. sdl is a better choice. so i won't :p

    Alex
    Alexander Kellett, Feb 10, 2005

  3. Quoting Alexander Kellett <>:

    > On Feb 10, 2005, at 8:32 PM, Tabor Kelly wrote:
    > > Anyway, I will need simple 2D animation. So, what will work for this?
    > > I heat GTK+ is nice to code for with Ruby, but it looks like the Win32
    > > port for GTK+ is kind of unstable (please correct me if I am wrong). I
    > > have heard that TK is a little painful to program with, but is _very_
    > > cross platform (again, correct me if I am wrong). How about FOX? Will
    > > these GUI toolkits even work, or should I be looking at SDL?

    > gtk's canvas is not only slow but also supposedly quite
    > unstable on win32. so yeah. i think ur right ;)

    I believe Tk's canvas is both fast and stable. I've had good success with it.

    --
    R. Mark Volkmann
    Partner, Object Computing, Inc.
    R. Mark Volkmann, Feb 10, 2005
  4. In article <>, Tabor Kelly wrote:
    [...]
    >Anyway, I will need simple 2D animation. So, what will work for this? I
    >heat GTK+ is nice to code for with Ruby, but it looks like the Win32
    >port for GTK+ is kind of unstable (please correct me if I am wrong). I
    >have heard that TK is a little painful to program with, but is _very_
    >cross platform (again, correct me if I am wrong). How about FOX? Will
    >these GUI toolkits even work, or should I be looking at SDL?

    I haven't used it, but RUDL (http://rudl.sf.net/) sits on top of SDL and
    provides a higher level interface. (Based on the PyGame Python library.)
    Tim Sutherland, Feb 13, 2005