    Opera, possibly konqueror on Linux as well.

    OT: I'm also looking for books and websites for cross platform XHTML and
    DHTML.
    Web Master, Jul 28, 2003

  2. I really don't understand your question, but I would suggest looking at:

    http://www.xml.org/xml/resources_cover.shtml
    http://www.ibiblio.org/xml/books.html

    Both the parent sites for the aforementioned links are also two good
    places to get some great information.

    and finally:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxml/html/understxml.asp

    Good luck.

    -C...

    Christopher Cooper, Jul 28, 2003

  3. Web Master

    Simon Harvey Guest

    Hi,

    XML is inherently cross platform - thats why everyone is having a cow about
    it just now.
    If your wanting to target different browsers, then you are looking at using
    the following techs at a minimum:
    XML and XHTML (just a version of html that doesnt allow sloppy code). If you
    were thinking about doing this for real you need to look at XSLT. Buy
    altovas products and get some other decent web editor. I prefer the studio
    MX suite from macromedia

    Chow

    Simon
    Simon Harvey, Jul 28, 2003
  4. After a long battle with technology,"Simon Harvey" <sh856531@microsofts_free_emal_service.com>, an earthling, wrote:
    > XML is inherently cross platform - thats why everyone is having a cow about
    > it just now.

    That's typically a nonsequitor.

    XML-based applications are commonly only implemented on one platform,
    and for any given XML document, it is entirely possible that the only
    application that has been written to use that document (DTD/schema)
    runs on a single platform.

    For instance, any of Microsoft's XML support has solely been written
    for their Windows platform.

    If you have a "BizTalk" document, it's more than likely that the only
    place it's useful is when interpreted by a Microsoft BizTalk server.
    --
    output = reverse("gro.gultn" "@" "enworbbc")
    http://cbbrowne.com/info/msprobs.html
    Christopher Browne, Jul 28, 2003
  5. Web Master

    Mark Preston Guest

    On 28 Jul 2003 11:47:39 GMT, Christopher Browne <>
    wrote:

    >After a long battle with technology,"Simon Harvey" <sh856531@microsofts_free_emal_service.com>, an earthling, wrote:
    >> XML is inherently cross platform - thats why everyone is having a cow about
    >> it just now.

    >That's typically a nonsequitor.

    Actually, it isn't - XML is cross-platform (but particular XML
    applications may not be).

    >XML-based applications are commonly only implemented on one platform,
    >and for any given XML document, it is entirely possible that the only
    >application that has been written to use that document (DTD/schema)
    >runs on a single platform.

    Again, here is the problem you seem to be having. XML is **not** the
    application, it is the data format and the data format most definately
    **is** cross-platform, even if the application software is not.

    >For instance, any of Microsoft's XML support has solely been written
    >for their Windows platform.

    Also not true. For example, Microsoft Word (especially in later
    versions) can write XML formatted documents rather than the
    proprietary "DOC" format and I can (and do) read those in Open Office
    on both Windows and Linux systems.

    >If you have a "BizTalk" document, it's more than likely that the only
    >place it's useful is when interpreted by a Microsoft BizTalk server.

    BizTalk, to be blunt, is dead. It was only ever a Microsoft
    proprietary method that tried (unsuccessfully) to make parts of the
    XML standard into "Redmond-only" versions, much as they did with Java,
    browser Javascript and others.

    This time, it failed and Microsoft have abandoned BizTalk.
    --
    Mark A. Preston, The Magpie's Nest, Lancashire, UK
    Website : www.magpiesnest.co.uk
    Mark Preston, Jul 29, 2003
  6. Web Master wrote:
    > Are there any good websites or books that deal with cross platform XML? I'd
    > like to target Internet Explorer/Netscape Navigator 5 or later, as well as
    > Opera, possibly konqueror on Linux as well.

    If you want to use XML and be cross-browser, use XML on the server-side
    and do a transformation to a cross-browser format (HTML 4.01 or XHTML
    1.0). Btw, there is no Netscape Navigator version 5 release.
    --
    Johannes Koch
    (Te Deum, 4th cent.)
    Johannes Koch, Jul 29, 2003
  7. Hi there,

    I don't have any advice on cross platform XML. XML is inherently cross
    platform. The tools are not, though, currently.

    For the PC the usual tool is XML Spy, www.xmlspy.com

    For the Mac, there is ElfData XML Editor, from
    www.elfdata.com/xmleditor/

    For Linux, I'm not sure.

    Theodore H. Smith, Jul 29, 2003
  8. Web Master

    Bob Foster Guest

    "Alan J. Flavell" <> wrote in message
    > That doesn't say to me that in the absence of a BOM [parsers] must be able
    > to deduce the [UTF-16] encoding.

    True, even though the non-normative part explains in detail how to do it,
    you're right, one can't depend on it.

    > > It's a given in XML. If it isn't declared as anything else and it isn't
    > > UTF-16, it's UTF-8.

    > I can't argue with that. I'm afraid that comment of mine was a
    > more-general one, not specific to the XML context, but I failed to
    > make that clear.

    It's clear now.

    Actually, it's great to have a clear and unambiguous spec to cite. You are
    right to be precise. That's the glue that holds us all together.

    Bob Foster

    http://www.xmlbuddy.com/
    http://bobfoster.com/blog/
    http://bobfoster.com/plog/