Crosstab-type grid control

Craig Buchanan

I have a collection of records with the following data elements: Year,
Payee, ExpenseType, Amount.

I would like to create a cross-type grid to edit the amounts, where the
payees are listed in rows, and the Year and ExpenseTypes are column headers.
The Year column is above the ExpenseType columns, the ExpenseTypes would
repeat for each Year.

I thought about creating a templated custom control with a
ColumnGroupTemplate and ColumnTemplate in addition to the standard DataGrid
templates (e.g. HeaderTemplate), but it seems like I still need a mechanism
to tell the control which field should be the ColumnGroup, the Column, the
Item and such.

Any thoughts on how to do this in a reusable manner would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Craig Buchanan