    database.
    So maybe the interface should be web-based and the word search written in C?
    But how do I go about setting up a CGI program on a free web host?
    Malcolm McLean, Nov 22, 2012

  2. Malcolm McLean

    JohnF Guest

    Malcolm McLean <> wrote:

    > http://www.malcolmmclean.site11.com/www/Crosswords/crosswords.html
    > [...]
    > So maybe the interface should be web-based [...]
    > But how do I go about setting up a CGI program on a free web host?

    What's the problem, exactly? I have several public web services
    written in C and set up as cgi's, with no programming or installation
    problems whatsoever. The most popular by far (about half a million
    requests per day) is www.forkosh.com/mimetex.html (for web service
    details, see Section 5.2 Public mimeTeX web service).

    Regarding games in general, did you see that Nova Science Now
    tv show about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foldit ?
    Seems like a brilliant idea -- wrap a game-like front end around
    serious scientific problems, thereby "crowd sourcing" solutions.
    Maybe you could think of some other general classes of problems
    amenable to this kind of treatment. Offhand, I'm failing to think
    of any, but if you're investing serious time developing games,
    you might want to give it a try.
    --
    John Forkosh ( mailto: where j=john and f=forkosh )
    JohnF, Nov 23, 2012

  3. On Friday, November 23, 2012 10:02:35 AM UTC, JohnF wrote:
    > Malcolm McLean <> wrote:
    >
    > What's the problem, exactly? I have several public web services
    > written in C and set up as cgi's, with no programming or installation
    > problems whatsoever.

    The problem is finding a host.
    Malcolm McLean, Nov 24, 2012
  4. Malcolm McLean

    Gene Guest

    On Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:01:54 PM UTC-5, Malcolm McLean wrote:

    > If I distribute the program as a windows binary, it's open to the threat of
    > viruses.

    You can pretty easily sign the binary with a self-generated code signing cert. This will prevent attaching a virus. If you wish to pay a bit, you can buy a cert that names you or your business at installation time.
    Gene, Dec 16, 2012
  5. Malcolm McLean

    Ian Collins Guest

    Gene wrote:

    Please wrap your lines!

    > On Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:01:54 PM UTC-5, Malcolm McLean
    > wrote:
    >
    >> If I distribute the program as a windows binary, it's open to the
    >> threat of viruses.

    > You can pretty easily sign the binary with a self-generated code
    > signing cert. This will prevent attaching a virus. If you wish to
    > pay a bit, you can buy a cert that names you or your business at
    > installation time.

    Or simply provide the MD5 sum on the download page.

    --
    Ian Collins
    Ian Collins, Dec 16, 2012
  6. On Sunday, December 16, 2012 9:21:46 PM UTC, Gene wrote:
    > On Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:01:54 PM UTC-5, Malcolm McLean wrote:
    >
    > > If I distribute the program as a windows binary, it's open to the threat of
    > > viruses.

    > You can pretty easily sign the binary with a self-generated code signing
    > cert. This will prevent attaching a virus. If you wish to pay a bit,
    > you can buy a cert that names you or your business at installation time.

    How do you do that?
    Malcolm McLean, Dec 17, 2012
  7. Malcolm McLean

    Shao Miller Guest

    Off-topic: Signing a C Windows Program (Was: Re: Crossword project)

    On 12/17/2012 05:20, Malcolm McLean wrote:
    > On Sunday, December 16, 2012 9:21:46 PM UTC, Gene wrote:
    >> On Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:01:54 PM UTC-5, Malcolm McLean wrote:
    >>
    >>> If I distribute the program as a windows binary, it's open to the threat of
    >>> viruses.

    >> You can pretty easily sign the binary with a self-generated code signing
    >> cert. This will prevent attaching a virus. If you wish to pay a bit,
    >> you can buy a cert that names you or your business at installation time.
    >>

    > How do you do that?

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537364(v=vs.85).aspx

    (But the MD5 suggestion works, too.)

    - Shao Miller
    Shao Miller, Dec 17, 2012
  8. Malcolm McLean

    Phil Carmody Guest

    Re: Off-topic: Signing a C Windows Program (Was: Re: Crossword project)

    Shao Miller <> writes:
    > On 12/17/2012 05:20, Malcolm McLean wrote:

    > >> You can pretty easily sign the binary with a self-generated code signing
    > >> cert. This will prevent attaching a virus. If you wish to pay a bit,
    > >> you can buy a cert that names you or your business at installation time.
    > >>

    > > How do you do that?
    > >

    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537364(v=vs.85).aspx
    >
    > (But the MD5 suggestion works, too.)

    If someone has hacked your website so that your download is not the
    right one, then probably the md5sum on it won't be the right one
    either.

    Phil
    --
    I'm not saying that google groups censors my posts, but there's a strong link
    between me saying "google groups sucks" in articles, and them disappearing.

    Oh - I guess I might be saying that google groups censors my posts.
    Phil Carmody, Dec 17, 2012